Do on-demand AV conflict with running AVs?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I see no reason why a program that is only an on-demand scanner would conflict with a running program. I am thinking primarily about AVs, but any other would seem to be the same. I realize that sometimes two running AS or similar programs run OK when both are active, but not AVs.

So the question is would a second or even third on-demand AV conflict with one another or the primary AV?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

I have been wondering the same thing. I currently use KAV but I have been thinking about using some second scanner only as on-demand. Both in this pc and in a laptop that is running Avast!

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I know that some people run many on-demand scanners without any problems. Malware testers for example can run up to 10 scanners or more on the same machine.

However, the combination of AV's used may be important. IME, some AV's such as KAV, Dr Web, and McAfee are sensitive to other AV's installed even when they are only on-demand scanners. Therefore, I have mainly installed these programs, particularly the latest versions, as sole AV's on particular systems.

Further, the order in which the AV's are installed may also be important for system stability. IME, Dr Web likes to be installed first on my systems.

So nowadays I either check a file by uploading to Jotti/Virus.Org/VirusTotal, or for a complete scan, I use one of the on-line scanners or Dr Web's CureIT which does not need installing.

So if you are not happy with your primary AV by all means check whether a second on-demand scanner is compatible with your system. But a lot also depends upon your first choice of scanner; for example I feel I do not need a second AV opinion when running KAV as a primary scanner.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Blackcat,

Many thanks. While I could not think of why there should be conflict I do remember that I once had AVG plus another. I had AVG as an on-demand AV. In spite of that I developed an email problem. When I uninstalled AVG it went away. I had a similar experience with it another time. Nothing wrong with AVG, but the two AVs, even though one was on-demand only, did not like each other.

I can see that the order of install might be critical.

Best,
    Jerry

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There might not be conflict perse, but it could tax your system. Every time the on demand scanner opens a file, the real time scanner also will want to check it. Early on in the KAV/KIS 6.0 beta, some one reported a problem with Spybot scans and the kav/kis realtime stuff on. KL respsonded, not a bug, shouldn't run spybot scan with kav/kis realtime on. Discussion closed.

In fact I don't think KAV will install if it detects another AV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.