do malware authors also sell security services?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chrcol, May 25, 2015.

1. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I wonder how believable this is.

I last week was looking for malware domain lists to feed into my router.

I came across paid lists and free lists, as one may expect the paid lists are substantially larger. Also one of the free lists had domains such as play.google.com making it silly to use.

One of the paid services is hosted in brazil, and they offer lists in numerous formats, the formats which are more friendly to be used on routers and servers you have to pay for, the ones that are free are designed for things like web browsers where e.g. can add to ABP.

They say they find the url's by scanning the net, that to me seems implausible, the only realistic methods I consider of gathering malware url's is either people submitting or the people who are spreading the malware themselves adding infected sites to the list.

Its not too silly to assume one motivation of spreading malware is so you can sell services to prevent infection of such malware.

anyone agree?

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

This seems reverse image of AV companies creating malware against which they can protect you. Both images don't seem plausible to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.