Do I want v9 or v10?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gmcc, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmcc

gmcc Registered Member

I have used v8 of this product at work and it has usually worked fine, but when booted from the CD/Linux disk it sees no SATA drives.

I was about to purchase it for home use and noticed that v10 apparently just came out, but I can still get v9 from several retailers.

Does Acronis have a habit of releasing buggy software, which if so might make the brand new v10 a risk?

Of course I also realize that buying v9 now will likely mean no more updates/fixes etc. So which is worse?

George

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I would go with version 10. Ideally, I'd wait a while before purchasing it, but since updates are free, it's not really a problem.

I say this without having read any comments on version 10 on this forum since I've been away for a month. I'd use those comments as the final basis for a decision.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Here are a couple of possible solutions.

If the TI rescue CD is your only problem and you are happy with the rest of the functions a workaround would be to build a Bart PE CD. There is some emphasis on the word Work if you have not tackled this sort of task before.
    Quite a body of knowledge is available here from previous posts and Acronis have issued some helpful notes as well as the actual TI plug in for V8
    It should solve your SATA recognition problems as it will use your native Windows drivers. A bonus is that restores will probably run much faster.

Or download a trial of version 10 and redownload version 8. You could now remove V8 via add/remove and install version 10 and make a new recovery CD to test it with your computer. The trial version CD does not allow making new images but it can reconise ones that you made earlier or from the the V 10 program itself.

Xpilot

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

My two eurocents on Xpilot's first suggestion is that I didn't find this difficult at all and I am pleased that I was forced to go down a route which gave me a recovery disk environment which has allowed me to add things like Paragon Partition Manager and R-Studio disk recovery as well as Acronis.

Almost worth doing whether you have a good Linux environment or not.

F.

5. gmcc

gmcc Registered Member

I think I confused the issue with the mention of using v8 at work as I only meant this to indicate that I have used the s'ware before.

The actual current question is, if I am going to buy something for home use now, should I get v9 selling at a discount from several reputable vendors, or go ahead an pay the money for the very new v10.

I don't so far see a lot of notes related to 10 here so I can't make a good decision based on that I don't think. And I should note that I do have a demo version of v9 I downloaded a few weeks ago and it does see my SATA drives when booted from the Linux CD, so that isn't an issue now.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  6. foghorne

If your version is earlier than v9 then I would go for V10 on the basis that it is being supported. Unlike V9 .... which is still WIP.

F.

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Or is it RIP ?

Xpilot

8. gmcc

gmcc Registered Member

I'm now convinced on getting v10. v9 can still be bought for about $20 less, but I doubt that extra 20 bucks will seriously affect my standard of living. :)

Thanks guys.

9. foghorne

Hi Xpilot.

Very dry. But you're right on the money... sadly. :'(

F.

10. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I have had no problems for quite a while with 9.0 or 9.1
    Not sure I can see any major benefits provided by 10. Is there anything really significant that 10 can do that 9.0 or 9.1 can't ?

11. gmcc

gmcc Registered Member

I guess you're asking one of the other guys this question because I have used 8 and now own 10. Never used 9 except to run the demo once. My suspicion is that 10 has some added features that I will likely never use, but I really haven't explored it too much yet.

12. shieber

shieber Registered Member

For me, ATI 10 was worth the upgrade just for the managed directories, with autonaming and the ability to automatically control backupss via cumulative file size, file number, or file age, as well as automatically control the number of incs or diffs before a new full is made.

Of course, if you don't want to do these things automatically and would rather run every job manually and do deletions manually, then 10 doesn't seem to have much more shine than 9.

13. gmcc

gmcc Registered Member

I may get to looking at some of that stuff eventually... I was mostly firstly interested in getting a good backup image yesterday and I did notice quite a bit more stuff in the available options. I just haven't given them a look yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.