Do I still need a seperate Trojan scanner?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by rheumatoid, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rheumatoid

rheumatoid Registered Member

I bought Trojanhumter a couple of years ago when NOD's trojan detection was a little shaky. However, it seems it is now much better. My subscription to trojanhunter is about to expire. Do I still need it?

Thanks

R.

2. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    In general it is always better to have a layered defence, what one application could miss could be cought by the other, in your case trojanhunter.
    It's not that NOD is not good at catching trojans, i use it myself aswell, but relying on one application for catching all the nasty's is not enough in my opinion.

regards
    Lamehand

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

No, not now.

Cheers :D

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'd say if you need to have an additional anti-trojan protection to your AV scanner, go for NOD32 :D

5. Blackspear

LMAO, nice, very nice :D :D :D

6. Lamehand

Not to start anything, but is NOD32 suddenly capable of catching everything under the sun?, including all trojans out there?
    That would be nice, i could dump all those other protection apps when i use windows.

Lamehand

7. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

If you have a look at AV-Comparatives' test, you will see that NOD32 scores very well in the trojan/backdoor category, even better than ewido's anti-malware (which used to be a dedicated anti-trojan/spyware scanner). And ewido was declared the "winner" when tested against other anti-trojan software, and if I remember right, TrojanHunter performed very poorly and refused to have their "score" written in the test.

But anyway, even if TrojanHunter isn't the top of the pick when it comes to trojan detection, it can still be useful. There might be stuff that TrojanHunter detects that NOD32 fails to detect (and the other way around). It's called layered protection.

(Besides, I guess things are going a bit better now that Gavin from the Trojan Defence Suite team is helping with adding detections in TrojanHunter.)

8. Lamehand

I didn't mean Trojan hunter in particular but any anti-trojan, and i know that NOD32 is pretty good at catching these things.

I totally agree with this statement. ;)

Lamehand

9. azumi21

azumi21 Registered Member

No.

TH needs much work, just a waste of resources.
    Probably just get in NOD's way.

If you want an active AT go with BoClean.
    Or just free Ewido for on demand scan now and then.

10. pykko

pykko Registered Member

NOD32 trojan detection rates have significantly improved. No need for a separate Trojan scanner. As for me I'm not using one.

11. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I know that any provider will tell you that you need only their solution, but I'd prefer NOT to put all my eggs in one basket - because one upset with the basket and you have not choice but to put up with scrambled eggs... I like a little more peace of mind. It's why I have insurance in real-life - why my VoIP system has TWO levels of fall-back (dual internet connections and copper line connection). Sorry - too many years in IT have left me jaded to claims that "you only need this one ~whatever~" - a claim that is almost always proved false in the long run.... at least in my experience...

12. Blackspear

I understand what you are saying in regards to a layered defence, however a seperate AT, for me, not anymore.

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I only use an AT for on-demand...

I'm more than satisfied with NOD32 :D

14. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I'm no expert, far from it in fact. But what I have read is that where Nod is lacking is not trojans, but rather keystroke loggers. So get you a free program like snoop free to protect from keystroke loggers. Get a couple of other spyware apps like Spybot (free) and Spysweeper (paid0. Then maybe a rootkit detector like the free one from F-Secure. You should be pretty safe with all that.

15. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I understand how you feel - and to-date, I've not had the "backup" AT find anything - and I hope I never do!

My thinking is that I have two different providers trying to be the first to detect the latest, greatest thing in trojans.

My situation is probably a LOT different from most typical "users" - in that I handle the bounce messages for many hundreds of domains - this puts me at exposure levels many hundreds, or thousands of times the average NOD32 user. It was putting all my eggs in ANOTHER company's basket that lead me to find NOD32, after an almost catastrophic infestation (for my personal PC).

Once bitten - twice shy.... ;)

Although most average users don't have anywhere near the exposure to threats that I do - and I don't even hunt them down!!!!!

16. Blackspear

In your circumstances I would be doing the same; the greater the risk, the more layers are required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.