Do I really NEED to have a software firewall alongside with my hardware FW?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Matt_Smi, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

q1aqza,

Good idea, I am thinking about that, was doing it, dual boot between a minilaist Win2K instalation only used for work and for all other needs a Linux installation, it was hard for me to find GPRS drivers so had to use Win2K for net.

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Who said they were all security apps? I've got about the same, only about 10 are security related, and several of those I keep more for control than security, thereby increasing my productivity. Not everyone uses their computers the same way, or for the same reasons. That's the beauty of computers; the possibilities are endless. I, too, have no shortage of CPU or memory, and have no problem firing up photoshop and dreamweaver at the same time, without having to close anything else I'm running (including browser, winamp, IM, email, PIM, etc etc)

I could never understand why some people actually care about how someone else living thousands of miles away, that they will never even speak to, uses their computer, when it will never affect them...

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There is another good reason for possibly using both hardware and software firewall. I recently added a hardware router, as I added a laptop to my setup, and I have them connected via a wireless network. From what I read all of the above assumes a single point of entry, ie the internet. But with a wireless setup there is indeed a 2nd point of entry inside the hardware firewall. Yes there are security features, but they aren't perfect at all. The software firewalls do give you added protection should someone get on your network with an infected computer.

4. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Actually I don't care about you in particular. Its more about things in general. There are some AV's that run 7 or 8 processes without causing a system to be unstable, yet a single process from CD packet writing software will cause problems on most systems.

Experience has shown me that minimalist systems tend to be very stable. I can go days between reboots.

If it works it is OK, but most of the time when I see over 50 processes there is usually a bunch of spyware and a system that is a complete mess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.