Do I REALLY need one?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by The_Duality, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

I am currently running KAV7, along with a few other applications for on demand scans. I also use SandboxIE for any dangerous surfing that is done and have not experienced an infection since my very first one, many moons ago, that encouraged me to learn more about internet security. My network is based around a NAT router, that we have a couple more machines and a printer attached to.

My question is: do I REALLY need a software firewall? I currently use Comodo, and it is not too heavy; but considering I am reasonably well protected against malware; sensible where I surf (using a sandbox if I go anywhere 'dodgy') and I am behind a NAT router with hardware firewall, is it absolutely necessary to use Comodo? Or any other software firewall apart from the Windows one?

Thankyou all for any advice you may have.

Matt

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

You dont need a software firewall unless you want outbound filtering.

3. The_Duality

So considering there is nothing that I want to stop connecting out, can I get rid of some resources by removing Comodo?

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

By all means, yes... as long as you don't care about what connects outbound then there's no need for Comodo... When I run Windows, all I use is a decent AV and the router. Nothing else.

5. noway

noway Registered Member

Personally, I would consider your KAV, router, and software firewall higher priority than the 3 anti-spyware items in your sig.

Sure you can save some resources by removing the software firewall...I guess it depends on how much of a chance you want to take, how faithfully you back up your data, what important stuff is on your HDD (passwords, banking info, etc).

SandboxIE is also good, but the problem with your usage of SandboxIE and your desire to remove the software firewall is this:

You don't know whether your "sensible" web sites you visit have been compromised. So although you use SandboxIE for "dodgy" sites, ANY site could become "dodgy" without you realizing it. Perhaps a software firewall could help in these cases. An example would be in the Gromozon thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=136452

I would read this thread before making a decision. Naturally software firewalls can also be used to prevent current/future software from phoning home and give you peace of mind when others not as security-minded as yourself are using your computer/network or even if you are tired or get lazy and make a mistake at least you have this additional layer to fall back on.

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I use a Netgear DG834 Router with Firefox - no scripts and that's it. No software firewall, real time no anti-virus , and no real time anti spyware.

Recently added DeepFreeze - so if something bad ever did get in a reboot would
    solve the problem.

As you have a Hardware Firewall and SandBoxIE I can see no reason for anything else.

7. Doc Serenity

Doc Serenity Registered Member

I use Comodo on an underpowered older pc and the slowdown is almost non-existent.
    I would not take a chance of having some type of private info go out on the internet.

Regards.
    Doc

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Now you seem to be contradicting yourself a little.. first you say you don't care about things connecting out, now you're worried about it and your private data. So you need to determine how safe your habits are and what the odds are of anything ever connecting out, and then proceed accordingly. If Comodo is light and has no impact on performance, you might as well use it then.

9. The_Duality

I dont recall saying that, but thats besides the point. :p

Thankyou all very much for your replies, I always learn a lot from people on this forum. After reading all of your posts, I think it would be best for me to keep Comodo running. As noway said, it is not worth the risk, and as Kerodo said, if it is light, then i might as well use it! :)

Again, thankyou very much for all of your input :)

Edit: Thankyou for the thread link noway, it made for very interesting reading, and it certainly tought me a lot as to why I should have outbound filtering in the form of a firewall.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.