Do I need to password-protect my router.

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rivalen, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

I got a new Thomson wire+wireless modem with 4 connections from my ISP.

1) I dont use wireless, so I shut that function down. Even if I hadnt the techgirl said noone can get in from the outside since the wireless network is password protected and the password can only be seen on the modem itself.

Do I need to change that password?

2) Here on Wilders I heard I should password protect my router settings. Techgirl said that is not neccesary and she had never heard of anybody being able to harm/scam/redirect traffic - through an not-password protected router. Nontech as I am - but I argued otherwise. I have heard about scammers redirecting endusers traffic after taking control of their router on purpose to commit bankfraud and empty their accounts. Techgirl never had heard that.
    Whats the right answer to this? Shall I password-protect my router?

How do I do it on a Thomson TG585 v7? If you dont know - please point me to somewhere - but I guess your out there knowing all the answers as usual - you allways are/do! :)

Best Regards

2. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

3. Rivalen

Sorry - couldnt find it there - but thanks anyway.

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

On page 4 just below #9. Read they text in the gray box. If you do not create\change the password then it defaults to Admin. Admin is pretty much the default password of every router brand on the market. This can be and has been exploited.

5. Rivalen

Thanks - I will do it.

6. Rivalen

Thanks guys - dont know why I didnt see it at first. According another thread theres a firmware problem with this router that means that after changeing pw you cant get in without using Firefox?! However I am protected and if I need there is always the possibility to reset and get back to default settings.
    Thanks

Edit: Could enter modem/router right now with my new password.

Kasperking and ThunderZ - many thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.