Do i need Sandboxie?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by crykid, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crykid

crykid Registered Member

Hi, i just started using sandboxie, i executed firefox within sandboxie and ran some spycar registry tests and avast web shield managed to successfully block them all. When i disabled the webshield, the file shield interfered and quarantined the file that was saved in the sandbox.

I disabled all the avast shields, ran the tests again, and comodo defense+ would alert me about all the registry modifications, i allowed them because i wanted to see what would happen, because i was using sandboxie they werent in fact modifying the intended keys.

So my question is, do i really need sandboxie when i have real time shields and a HIPS program?

My next question is, does using real time shields compromise sandboxie protection, because as i noticed, avast would immediately detect the malware inside the sandbox folder and quarantine it, so sandbox does not serve its purpose. Thank you.

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You can use your real time anti virus to detect known threats and use SBIE to get rid of threats that are still unknown to Avast. Thats a great combination and its how most of us use SBIE when we first start using it.

The Sandboxie folder can be accessed by programs outside the sandbox, like your antivirus, since they are not running sandboxed. If a file gets detected by the AV, you can either quarantine it or delete the sandbox. Either way its fine.

Bo

3. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yes. 'Nuff said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.