Do I need sandboxie if I have Defensewall?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Konata Izumi, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I think they're the same. Aren't they? o_O

2. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Simple answer, NO.You do not need sandboxie if you have defensewall.

3. southcat

southcat Registered Member

I afraid they are not quite same. According to many senior here said that sandboxie is a virtualization software for application and defensewall is more like policy restriction type.

Regards
    southcat

4. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

You will find differing opinions. Some use together or use with something like Shadow Defender. I don't think a second sandbox is necessary. I would consider combining DW Firewall 3 with a good anti-virus (I see you are running Prevx now which is very good). You may want to look at some threads here at Wilders like this one: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=255963&highlight=sandboxie defensewall

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  5. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Sandboxie = Sandbox/virtualisation. DW = policy based hips. With DW you get system wide protection for all threatgates including downloaded files, with SBIE you lose protection once you recover any files out of the sandbox. With SBIE you can 'flush the toilet' to clear out the Sandbox, with DW all activity occurs on your 'real' system.

Both are excellent applications and have their own strengths. In particular DW can be used by novices, who have no interest in security software.

SBIE has 32bit and 64bit versions (though this has security limitations due to patchguard). DW is refusing to go 64bit right now, so the long term future for it does not look promising. SBIE has the advantage here because although its security is weaker under 64bit, it is not just a security application - it's a way of isolating activities (such as internet browsing) from your real system. And this principle still holds under 64bit. In constrast DW is a pure security application.

6. pegr

pegr Registered Member

An excellent summary of the differences between the two, Scoobs72. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.