Do I need Net Frame Work 1 and 2

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nightingale, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightingale

nightingale Registered Member

Hey there all you smart comp guys and gals ,I was wondering if I need to download these 2 applications.I do not build any sites or anything tech like that.My comp is for gaming (son cannot live in this world without that :rolleyes: )and my usual surfing stuff.I heard there is even a version 3 net frame work.Would anyone be so kind as to tell this newbi what the frame work does in english lol.Why is it so hard for tech guys to explain in english ,simple english that is lol.
    Wasn't sure where to post this question.Also do you Have to have both in order for your comp to work properly?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

microsoft's .net framework is needed for some programs to run. such programs will usually have .net framework lised in their system requirements.

for example: paint.net requires that u have version 2 of teh framework and hosts secure requires version 1.

theres also a version 3, but its teh same as version 2 with the addition of some Vista components.

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Certain products, such as Ghost 10 and McAfee VS 10 am MCaFee 2007, require a particular version of the ,NET Framework to be installed.

If u have no such products, then there's no reason to install any .NET Framework.

4. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

I have net framework 1.1 and 2.0 installed could i uninstall 1.1? or do i need the both? And is it better if i upgrade now to the new 3.0?

As ATI drivers needs framework would it be better with 3.0? as 3.0 is more stable with new features? would it mean that my drivers would be enhanced with better game play etc...

As a new feature in 3.0 is Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), formerly code-named Avalon; a new user interface subsystem and API based on XML and vector graphics, which will make use of 3D computer graphics hardware and Direct3D technologies.

5. WSFuser

.net framework is only needed for teh Catalyst® Control Center, so it wont necessarily affect your gameplay.

u can keep either one, the control panel works with both versions.

6. chaos16

so i could download 3.0 and uninstall version 1.1 and 2.0? as 3.0 has everything 1.1 & 2.0 has its an upgrade right.

so i could uninstall all and install the new 3.0?

7. WSFuser

3.0 includes 2.0 but not 1.1.

like i said, for the Catalyst® Control Center u can use either 1.1 or 2.0 (or 3.0). just pick one version.

8. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

You only need the versions required by your apps.

If an app requires, say, 1.1, the app will not necessarily work with 2 or 3 or ....

Only the app developer can tell you what versions will work with the app.

9. chaos16

i now have 1.1,2.0 & 3.0 thats ok no?

10. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Chaos16

Actually all that .net 3.0 framework is is the 2.0 framework with the WPF added on (pretty much as WSFuser said).
    The 3.0 installer is smart enough to only install the extra stuff needed if you have 2.0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.