Do I need more?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sosaiso, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Personally I think even the realtime monitor of A2 squared is overrated, when i recently tested it for fun.

But that's just me.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Your statement probably applies to most any program. after all it's not the steak that's being sold it's the sizzle.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i thought if the program had heuristics it would be used during a scan.
    only because i thought it would use heuristics, which i think it does but not sure. if the scanner doesn't use it's heuristics for an on demand scan then i understand what you're talking about.

4. Dear iceni60, 'heuristics' is just a word and many people mean many different things when they refer to it.

My understanding of A2 realtime guard is that it's closer to a behaviorial monitor kind of defense, the theory is it is like Processguard, Regdefend, Appdefend etc but with some more intelligence built in so it doesn't alert so much.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

OK then we are all going to have to agree to disagree, for me the F/P from https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=636901 proves the heuristics work during the on demand scan and it's very capable of catching stuff the other scanners will miss. again i don't really know but it just seems obvious to me. i hope someone who really knows sees this thread and can tell me/us one way or another.

6. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Additional remark to Maxthon:

good choice, much safer than IE.

Reason: the proactive approach.

7. It's not obvious to me iceni60 because things are not as simple as heuristics and no heuristics. Terms are very tricky...

Dear Iceni60 , I believe FPs can occur even without use of 'heuristics' (in the sense you are thinking).

Secondly there is no doubt A2squared has heuristics (of the sort you are thinking) like any scanner. But the guard itself is not just (passive) heuristics.

Thirdly, with regards to someone who 'really knows' , the author himself says the scanner is a gimmick as pointed out already. This means there is something in the real time guard that is NOT in the scanner. Otherwise they would both be gimmicks and clearly the author of A2 squared does not believe this.

You can call the extra bit heuristics or call it something else, but it's a fact.

I believe if you search the forum you can see that the author of A2 square freely admits that if you are looking for powerful scanners Ewido is the way to go, A2 squared is built on the powerful IDS real time monitor which is a completely different thing.

Fourthly, The free product itself is undergoing a revamp, and in the future it will be a 'stinger' style program rather than the way it is perceived these days.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

OK it's abit clearer now, i still haven't read the thread were the scanner's called a gimmick though and i don't read much in the AV, AT part of the forums so i'm mainly going on how the F/P was caused. if the F/P was caused by somekind of generic sig then i understand more still.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.