Do I need Anti Spyware?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cdysthe, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdysthe

cdysthe Registered Member

Hi,

I recently switched to NOD32 Business. I see that NOD32 should be taking care of spyware as well. It would be nice to get rid of yet another running program, so can I now ditch the anti-spyware program I was using before NOD32?

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

What were you using? I had CounterSpy and now have just NOD and my router.

3. cdysthe

I was using SpySweeper. My subscription is about to run out, so I am wondering if I should renew or not.

4. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

Hi,

I think an extra AS won't do harm,
    as a on-demand scanner for backup :)

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

IMO,You can add a On Demand scanner such as SuperAntiSpyware For some extra back up.Lets say for instance Nod32 detects but has trouble cleaning,perhap does not detect.Just maybe SAS may give you that second chance,Minus another real time engine of course.Just be sure to update before each scan.

6. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

SUPERAnti Spyware + occasionally Ewido Micro scanner, unfortunately NOD32 isn't very good at dealing with spyware (with full respect to Eset).

7. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

No security program will guard against everything. A good AV and a good ASW program will usually offer better layered protection and have a larger definition database than an any single AV alone.

NOD32 AV and SAS Pro (SUPERAntispyware Pro) work great together and both are light on resources. The SAS free version is good if you don't mind manually scanning and updating it on a regular basis. I prefer the SAS Pro version since it has real time protection and allows for scheduled scanning and more frequent automatic definition update checking. You can get more information about SAS/SAS Pro at...www.superantispyware.com.

There definitely are many other anti-spyware (ASW) programs available that will work well with NOD32 (EAV). For many people an AV and an ASW program offers enough protection for their needs. However, besides using both an AV and an ASW many people like to also install a HIPS program (i.e. Threatfire). You might want to read about more recommendations for ASW and HIPS programs in the anti-malware section of this forum.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  8. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Ditch SpySweeper.
    You don't need a real-time antispyware, but you might want to do some ocassional on-demand scans, just for getting a second opinion.
    I recommend SAS or MBAM.

9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Spy Sweeper (version without antivirus) is still an excellent program to prevent infections.

Counterspy is probably better.

I use both, no conflicts ! Both in real-time protection.

Many people here are enamoured with SAS, I have never used it and the 'SUPER' part in SAS puts me off !

Isn't SAS supposed to be free ? There is no free lunch ...

Often overlooked, it's important to configure your browser safely (and I don't mean Firefox!), which is easier said than done.

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

With NOD32 on duty, you MIGHT get some benefit from using an on-demand AS.

I recommend A-squared free which shortly will add an Ikarus engine -- see THIS Wilder's post, as elaborated upon by the proponent of A-squared (Emsisoft) in THIS Wilder's post.

11. Tony

Tony Registered Member

From my point of view and the way in which my computer gets used then i would say yes, as other people have its use (and because i like a drink and mistakes happen :D )

12. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I know what you mean...the "SWEEPER" part in Spy Sweeper always bothered me. It always seemed to be a bloated and excessively large name for an ASW program! :D

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

When I heard that someone has to ditch an application due to renewal situation, I just wish I could lend a hand. In SS case, I can.

If you like to continue SS for one more year. please PM me , I have one extra brand new license to give (free , of course).

SS is an excellent AS application, only if user knows how to appreciate it.

14. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Ditched spyware running in the background a long time ago-the other malware apps. most people use seem to be able to handle spyware as well.

Only using on demand SAS,excellent-but all it ever comes up with during the scan every few weeks, are a few tracking cookies.

15. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

Sandboxes can do a much better job and use much less resources.

Wow that's prejudiced. Ever heard of "Don't judge a book by it's cover"? (or something like that)

Yes there is a free version.

What, so you're saying there's some hidden malware or something inside SAS?:mad:
    Stuff like Ubuntu is totally free - they can even send the CD to you!

Why not Firefox?

16. Someone

Hi

IMHO you should not renew. Probably you should get SAS/MBAM free for on-demand or SAS/MBAM pro, both of them are very light.

You could also consider adding HIPS/sandboxes.

17. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

IMHO You dont need anti-spyware programs anymore esp with a paid scanner like Nod32 which already detects spyware.

Use Threatfire or a Sandbox like DefenseWall !

18. Someone

Hi

Well no scanner is 100% and an on-demand scanner is a good addition.

I agree!

19. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

IMO It's enough to have a a good antivirus with good spyware protection, plus SAS, Windows Defender and occasional scans with Ewido Micro Scanner. No need to pay for any anti-spyware. It's not really worth it, running an antivirus and an anti spyware in real time (the only real advantage of having a purchased anti-spyware) is not recommended (I used to do this before and I ended up with a laptop that didn't recognize it's own modem:blink: ), so chosing between one of them, antiviruses offer better protection.

20. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

Nice little tool the ewido micro scanner. Just ran it and it found me a "..\CLSID\{dffacdc5-679f-4156-8947-c5c76bc0b67f}" in registry under sandbox, which is also recognised by MBAM as Fake.Dropped.Malware.SpywareSoftStop.

Funny thing is, I didn't do much browsing out of the ordinary sites.

21. cdysthe

Thanks!

That was a lot of advice and opinions! :)

Looks like I may take a look at SAS, but I so do not want to have something extra running all the time if I can avoid it. What about preventive tools like Spyware Blaster?

22. Someone

Hi

SAS is much better than SB.

23. HURST

HURST Registered Member

They work in a different way.
    Add SpywareBlaster if you want.
    You install, update, enable all protection and that's it. You just close it.
    It uses NO resources at all.
    What it does: it adds "killbits" in special places of the registry so known malware can't do harm.
    It is mainly oriented to Internet Explorer ActiveX vulnerabilities. It also blocks tracking cookies and blocks websites.

24. cdysthe

I see you have Sandboxie in your sig. I just tried that since someone recommended that kind of solution. Seems to run great, but should I run other software than my web browser sandboxed? For instance I have my trading platform (which seems to be based on IE somehow) running at all times. I tried to run it Sandboxed and it worked fine, but is there any reason to do so?

25. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I think there are many ways to prevent malware infections, which is the real issue, I think.

Virus, spyware, the difference has blurred.

Many possible and excellent setups, including just using good imaging software (and handling that correctly), and every time you're about to do something when security is important you just restore your clean image ! (And you need to a way to handle software and data).

Personally, I prefer the combination of an antivirus and an antispyware program. (In my case, two antispyware programs that offer real-time protection). Much less complicated than some setups some people here use, but then again, I'm not an expert working in the computer industry.

IE 7 is mature, and when properly configured and updated it's reasonably safe. Regarding Firefox: more people use it these days, so it's becoming more of a target. And I can't resist (for those into Firefox): http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.