Do I need an AT?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Lithium, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lithium

Lithium Guest

Hi, I already have antivirus software installed on my computer. Do I also need anti trojan software? Or is an antivirus scanner secure enough?

2. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

It is usually a wise idea to have an AT on your system as well. there are a few decent free ones out there too, like EWIDO and A2. TDS3 also has one that you can use with limited features for free.

3. Lithium

Lithium Guest

But.................Aren't good AV's capable of detecting trojans?

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Depends upon your present AV and your surfing habits.

1. If you visit fairly low-risk sites and practice safe-hex, the need for a separate AT program greatly diminishes.

2. AV's with good overall malware detection, including trojans, are Dr Web, KAV and McAfee. These should be able to adequately cover the trojan threat by themselves. In fact most good commercial AV's should be able to detect most of the common trojans.

Overall, therefore if you have fairly conservative surfing habits and you use a good commercial AV, this should be sufficient as long as you keep it updated. However, if you visit high-risk sites, an additional AT to run alongside your AV would be a good idea, if not essential.

Therefore, a good commercial AV and a software firewall that has application filtering should be sufficient to cover the trojan threat for most average Home users.

But there is no harm in doing the occasional scan with a free on-demand scanner like Ewido ;)

5. Lithium

Lithium Guest

Thank you guys ..........happy again!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.