Do I need a firewall when Bluetooth is on?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by truthseeker, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Sometimes I turn BLuetooth on in my Laptop so I can transfer files between my Laptop and Mobile phone.

During that time I have Bluetooth on in my Laptop, I can see usually about 4-5 people connected in my area.

So my question is.... Can anyone near me connect into and access my Laptop when my Bluetooth is on?

If so, would Zone Alarm stop it if I had it installed?

2. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Anyone know what I must do to make sure that nobody can access my Laptop when Bluetooth is turned on?

And does anyone know why a Firewall does not stop or monitors Bluetooth activity?

For example, when I turn Bluetooth on in my Laptop and begin transferring files out of my PC to my mobile phone, no Firewall questions this activity.

Why not? Because files can come in and out using bluetooth but no windows Firewall detects it. Anyone know why they don't include this in their firewall software?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  3. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I cannot see any reason of having a FW when BT is on, though it is advisable to have a FW. The FW protects your PC for intrusions over the network. If your using BT (both PC and Phone), make sure you have discovery disabled on both products so others can't see your PC and Phone, and also you should have security enabled on both your BT devices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.