Do I n33d WinPatrol?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by berryracer, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro (real time protection running along KIS, exceptions set so they don't clash), and SUPERAntiSpyware on demand scanner to remove those harmful/tracking cookies

With that said, I keep seeing WinPatrol pop up on sites like MajorGeeks

What is it really? is it the same as MBAM and SAS? or is it different? And more importantly, now that you know my security setup, do you think Ill ever need it or it's overkill?

Thanks

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. berryracer

Well the features DO look interesting. However, Is it really needed on a system with Kaspersky Internet Security + MBAM Pro running both in real time?

Like, is it another layer of protection or is it a waste of money? Don't really have that much cash to burn

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

If you have KIS, its better not to use winpatrol as it might conflict. KIS if configured properly, will be as effective (and more) as winpatrol.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yeap i think same way cause kis has hips capability so winpatrol is not needed

6. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I really don't consider WinPatrol to be in the same class at all as any of the other software mentioned.

Although it has some protective features, I consider it mainly to be a conveniently formatted central information source for what's running and how. I wouldn't say it's my preferred task manager but it's a good summary of what's going on with active tasks, startup tasks, services, and on down the line.

WinPatrol is not part of my security setup per se. I keep it online (and happen to have it licensed for my whole household) for information purposes. Bill does run specials as far as the price you can license it at, but it's probably useful enough unlicensed as I describe its use above.

7. berryracer

ah ok, thanks for the info guys, won't be bothering with it then since i have KIS

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

you have more than enough there:thumb:

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

WinPatrol is not a HIPS it's more like a system monitoring software but it alerts you of critical or important system changes, as any HIPS it depends on the user knowledge a lot. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.