Do I Have Too Many Anti-Malware Programs?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ken7, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken7

Ken7 Registered Member

Newbie question!

Out of these, what can I delete and what should I keep and what should I get?

I use Windows XP and Firefox. My surfing habits are pretty tame, I try to not go to any bad sites etc.

I have:
    Free AVG 8.0
    Ad-Aware
    Spybot Search and Destroy
    Spyware Doctor (free version from Google)
    MBAM
    SAS
    Spyware Blaster
    CC Cleaner
    Advanced System care
    Glary Utilities
    Smart Defrag

Thanks for any feedback

2. gery

gery Registered Member

you only need these ones
    AVG
    MBAM .or SAS
    CCLeaner
    and one of the utilities programs using them with maximal care because they may destroy your computer

3. guest

guest Guest

remove
    Ad-Aware
    MBAM
    Spyware Blaster
    Advanced System care
    Glary Utilities

keep
    Free AVG 8.0
    SAS
    CC Cleaner

no need many spyware-software
    if you know what you do, no need MBAM cause you can separate fake anti-malware/reel anti malware

but you can use sandboxie. it is great product.
    and you can use WOT with firefox.

4. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

A firewall not ?

5. Ken7

Ken7 Registered Member

Do I really need a another Firewall? I thought XP has a firewall??

Also, thanks for all this information, its helping me clear up what I need without overdoing it.

One more question, every time I run a scan on these programs, all they ever find are Cookieso_O Why are these Cookies showing up as Mal-Ware??

Thanks for all your help!

6. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Keep:AVG, MBAM, SB and the non security utilities
    Ditch AdAware, SD, SAS Unless you prefer it over MBAM <--- you only need 1 of these

7. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hello KEN7;

In my opinion you should keep CCleaner, Glary Utilities, Malwarebytes, and replace AVG antivirus with either Avast (free) or Avira (free).

Unlike many people who swear by Superantispyware and Spywareblaster, I've never seen either to be particularly noteworthy at detecting, removing, or preventing the installation of spyware on my computer, and for the same reasons believe you will be better protected using Avast or Avira in place of AVG. As for Spybot, I quit using it over a year ago and and will soon do the same with Ad-Aware because neither has the detection capability I'm looking for. The free version of Spyware Doctor is more of a resource hog than I like and it's spyware definition database is comparatively small, plus (in my experience), it's been known to have trouble coexisting with other security applications.

Never used smart defrag so I can't comment on that application and see no need for Advanced System Care if you keep CCleaner and Glary.

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

IMO you can use sandboxie and eliminate everything but maybe a antivirus to check your downloads or your externnals devices with Avast or Avira and CCleaner to keep things tidy,and most likely you may even notice some extra life in your machine.

9. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

There's no harm being done with having many on-demand antimalware apps installer.

- I'd definitely keep both SAS and MBAM.
    - SSD and AdAware really produced no useful results for me on infected boxes for almost two years.
    - CC Cleaner, Smart Defrag - those have nothing to do w/ antimalware
    - no idea what are these two for... Advanced System care, Glary Utilities
    - Free AVG 8.0 wouldn't be my AV of choice but I don't want to get into this debate.

10. progress

progress Guest

That's my setup :)

You could add an antirootkit tool: F-Secure Blacklight or Trendmicro RootkitBuster ;)

11. wtsinnc

Switching from AVG to Avast or Avira will provide antirootkit capability.

12. gery

gery Registered Member

or just add an antirootkit standalone application becaouse with Avira he will need an antispyware software. What's wrong with AVG ?

13. HURST

HURST Registered Member

KEEP:
    Free AVG 8.0
    MBAM
    SAS
    Spyware Blaster
    CC Cleaner

REMOVE:
    Ad-Aware

UP TO YOU:
    Advanced System care
    Glary Utilities
    Smart Defrag

Welcome to Wilders by the way.

14. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

As in many areas of life, if one is astute enough to ask the question, the answer is already known...

15. wtsinnc

gery;

In this theoretical setup, he would already have an antispyware application (MBAM, SAS, or...).

AVG antivirus is better than nothing, I suppose, but independent tests have consistently shown that it's detection capability has not matched that of either Avast or Avira among the free antivirus applications. Although I don't care to get into a long-winded discussion about this, my previous statement is an absolute fact.
    -Additionally-
    AVG has documented and ongoing problems with version 8 such as excessive resource usage resulting in system slow down and freezing plus the recent foul-up regarding a corrupted update which reinforces my opinion that a person would be better served using Avast or Avira if they desired a free application.

16. progress

progress Guest

You are right, AVG + Trendmicro RootkitBuster for example ;)

Avast is the only all-in-one, but the GUI is :gack:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2008
  17. wtsinnc

Avast, Avira, AVG,
    etc.;
    etc.;
    etc.;

Every antivirus, antirootkit, and antispyware application will miss something.
    I believe in utilizing second-opinion scanners in every case; not every time, but on occasion.

Regardless of his final choice(s), the OP has a wealth of useful free applications to choose from. :)

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

avg free
    Drwebs cureit (or stick with MBAM)
    Ccleaner

Ditch the rest

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

If you are using the XP firewall, please review Stem's tutorial Windows XP firewall; it's excellent!

Keep AVG, MBAM, SAS, Spybot S&D (Immunize, no TeaTimer) and CCleaner. Remove the rest using Revo Uninstaller.

20. Fly

Fly Registered Member

That seems like overkill.

You could probably get rid of Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D without compromising your security even a bit.

I would advocate getting rid of the Spyware Doctor (has caused me a lot of trouble, it isn't very good, especially the free version with limited malware signatures!)

But I'm not sure if AVG is good enough as an antivirus, you could check av-comparatives or other sources.

21. H47

H47 Registered Member

It doesn't have anti-rootkit. (at least the free version anyway).

22. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

lol ur asking a forum of people who like to "splurge" on security products :p

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I agree with doktornotor's suggestions, I would definitely add a virtualizer (Returnil free as an example, plenty of other possibilities but paid ones) which will keep your computer in pristine condition.

24. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

I would dump all the AV / AM apps you have and instead, use Avira Free and A-Squared 4 Free as on demand.

Go for the full versions if you can and run both in real time. Avira and A2 V4 both offer broad spectrum protection and have been shown in many recent tests to beat all other AV / AM packages. You are unlikley to ever find anything nasty that will evade this combination.

Stick with XP firewall.

Try Sandboxie if you like.

Always have a full, clean system backup to restore and keep seperate up to date document backups.

This setup should be light and secure.

Dont fall in to the trap of running loads of AM scanners and other security apps - waste of time and s-l-o-w-s your system down.

MZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.