Do I have a virus?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Fox Mulder, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

I'm kind of surprised by this as I've never had a virus before, but this looks weird. I don't know if my system is compromised or not.

I recently reinstalled Win7 since my replacement SSD just arrived. I've installed Firefox, Comodo, MSE, Dropbox, Microsoft Office and a couple games from Steam. I haven't done much browsing or downloading.

I just booted up into Windows and was greeted by my desktop, plus a large white text box that looked like a Comodo log window. For example, it had text in it such as: "MsMpEng.exe has been sandboxed as untrusted"... which is the text comodo shows me in a popup when I boot, as it's sandboxing that file. There are even HTML bold tags in the right places for that message.

I tried to screenshot it but the rest of my system was unresponsive. So, being an idiot, I totally forgot that I could take a picture with my phone and I rebooted. It didn't reappear and hasn't shown up since despite multiple reboots.

MBAM Pro and MSE both report no infections. There is nothing unusual in autorun or services.

Any thoughts as to what this might be? I've never had a virus before so I'm kind of paranoid.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Sounds like Comodo and MSE are conflicting.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

doesn't sound like virus, just some glitch

5. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

It was such a weird bug. I checked the Comodo firewall utility and it looked nothing like that.

It was basically a very plain textbox that extended beyond the screen, above and below. It contained a bunch of file paths to things that would boot up, and apparently dumps of the comodo messages that pop up when something is sandboxed.

Occasionally the box would "scroll up" very fast and scroll back down. I caught a glimpse of the title bar, it had the "aero basic" skin although my desktop was still Aero. At one point the box "scrolled down" and disappeared. I think this was in response to me jamming the page up/page down keys and getting a lagged response. :p

Is it possible that this is some kind of malicious logger?

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

A malicious logger? I'd say no it was a glitch,like Cudni said.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.