Do Eset Virus Labs work weekends?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by zer0l0gic, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zer0l0gic

zer0l0gic Registered Member

o_O

Noticed that since I switched to Eset NOD, weekends are really quiet with no virus signature database updates.

:shifty:

Out of curiosity, do Eset Virus Labs work weekends?

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

There are updates when a serious outbreak is starting to occur.

3. zer0l0gic

;) Thanks for your reply and for answering my curiosity.

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Yes, there is always someone available from ESET's virus lab to respond to threats, even on weekends and holidays. Keep in mind, though, that just because someone is monitoring the incoming queues of malware and creating signatures does not mean that a signature database update will occur.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. zer0l0gic

Thankyou Aryeh :thumb:
    I find it fascinating to hear about the inner workings of Eset.
    I was a bit concerned that updates aren't pushed out on weekends, but I guess if there is an outbreak then signatures will be updated.

6. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

I was wondering the same thing :)

7. Wyrd

Wyrd Registered Member

Well, good to hear that. I recently made a switch to NOD32 from Kaspersky 2009 (version 8.0), since its new heuristic engine messed a bit too much with harmless update patches for MS Office, etc. Kaspersky, however, updates every 1.5 to 2.5 hours, weekends included...Not that I do not trust ESET's zero-day attack ability to respond, but somehow getting no or almost no updates in the weekends leaves me a bit hesitant...

8. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Hello,
    I think weeks-end are either for ESET employees or Hackers and virus developers... :)
    But, yes, a part from joke, I noticed that there were no or rarely virus updates during we...

9. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

you should realise that you're likely to get problems with software from any company that is in pre-release stage:-that's why its called beta-TESTING!

10. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

They may not seem to be very active at weekends but look at these:

Update 2759 (20080101) New Years Day!
    Win32/Adware.Agent.NIL, Win32/Adware.Vapsup (4), Win32/Adware.Vapsup.B (2), Win32/Adware.Vapsup.L (4), Win32/Agent.DBP, Win32/Agent.NOP, Win32/Bagle.LG (2), Win32/Bagle.LI (3), Win32/Bagle.LJ (3), Win32/Bagle.LK (3), Win32/Delf.NIV (4), Win32/Hupigon.NGG, Win32/IRCBot.ABS, Win32/Nanspy.S (5), Win32/Pacex.Gen, Win32/PSW.OnLineGames.KDP (3), Win32/Spy.Banker.BOF (2), Win32/Toolbar.AskSBar, Win32/TrojanDownloader.Agent.AEF, Win32/TrojanDownloader.Zlob.BND, Win32/VB.NNX (2)

Update 2747 (20071225) Christmas Day!
    Ichitaro/TrojanDropper.Tarodrop.I, PP97M/Exploit.Agent.NAC, Win32/Agent.NOL, Win32/Small.CNK, Win32/Sohanad.NBX, Win32/TrojanDownloader.Agent.NUC

Update 2746 (20071225) Christmas Day!
    Win32/Adware.SecToolbar, Win32/Adware.Virtumonde, Win32/Adware.Virtumonde.FP, Win32/Agent.AF (2), Win32/Agent.DKW (3), Win32/BHO.G, Win32/IRCBot.ABP, Win32/Nuwar.Gen, Win32/Spy.Banker.BHR, Win32/TrojanDownloader.Banload.FVE (2)

11. stratoc

stratoc Guest

it just puzzles me why we have so many on a weekday? if it's not that important?
    if it is that important surely we are more vulnerable at weekends.
    had 5 updates from my free superantispyware and not 1 from nod. i still feel i have the best security, it just puzzles me why so many in the week are needed?

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

You can bet that if the junk (virus) makers were wind of any break in the action then that's when they would pump up some servers to deliver their latest disrupting garbage.

Nice to know the Labs keep vigil even on Holidays, i didn't realize that myself.

Eset is been the only rescue net i depended on when struck by a file infector awhile ago, if not for the cleaning ability (at least this variant was repairable) a lot of useful data would have gone straight down the drain.

Good Job :thumb:

13. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

14. Wyrd

Wyrd Registered Member

Steve, Kaspersky 2009 was officially signed as a technical release about three weeks ago, so the beta-stage testing phase there is over. Apparently, their heuristic engine, however, needs further work...

15. zer0l0gic

:cautious:

I agree. It's not a polished product, but then again it's not fully released yet.

So, interesting to see that I'm not the only bean here who wonders sometimes about signature updates on weekends.

;)

16. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

The long and shot to this is, does it really matter, as long as your protected :shifty:

17. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

many signatures are to clarify generic detections - if you have a threat detected as a "variant of threat-X" - do you care if Eset waits until Monday to release a signature which officially names it "mytob-XXXX"? I don't.

However - if a new and important threat emerges, which requires a signature release to be detected in any form - Eset puts those out. That's why you don't see so many on weekends, as they reserve efforts for NECESSARY updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.