do Comodo 3 and Threatfire conflict ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr1965, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I was thinking about going back to using Comodo 3 after the latest upgrades- I am running Vista Home Premium. But I currently have Threatfire running and like it. Will these two programs conflict? I would just like to know before I find out the hard way.

These look to be two good programs. What protections will overlap?

2. osip

osip Registered Member

If you mean ComodoD+ with similar HIPS approach 2 is one too much in my view...

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Acr1965

When you run Limited User in full or in quiet mode (look for freeware TwealUAC) and you have ThreatFire running (and liking it), there is no reason for setting up your own defense with D+ from a HIPS perspective.

LUA (and IE in protected mode) will provide strong protection, D+ is a second catch safety net. ThreaftFire handles all the process integrity, driver/service loading, windows messaging, hook setting for you. Using D+ instead will force you to answer these intrusion questions. TF is your intelligent safetynet. When you likeit, keep it TF offers incredible security level with limited knowledge required from the user.

CFP is a nice strong light FireWall, but using the freebie VistaFireWallControl will give you outbound control using Vista's internal FireWall. When you do not belive me, search around and look what for instance BigC has to tell about VistaFireWallControl.

When you should decide to use CFP/D+ (in combination with TF), use Comodo with these settings: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=199867. On the general (user firendly) home PC (XP-box), we have set up CFP in these settings in combination with a policy sandbox (e.g. GeSWall or DefenseWall). You could also combine this with a virtual Sandbox (Sandboxie or SafeSpace personal) when you are willing to learn how a virtualisation sandbox works.

Regards

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.