Do all firewalls slow down browsing?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by figueroa4, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

If you feel comfortable with Zonealarm, then I say: do it.

there is no need for saying you should try this or that, or whatever. everytime you remove such an important software your computer will get slower and slower and eventually leaky as a cheespounder.

I ll take it if you ask me. if I didn't knew outpost though. just like you I was looking for something behind my router.

just happy with it , that's all, just like you , I guess.

then we are two happy people... :D

2. Snook

Snook Registered Member

I'm sorry but I can't disclose the name of the software I use to control outbound connections. Disclosing the name would compromise my system somewhat and cause me to fall into the innocent tentacles of reverse engineering.

3. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have been in touch with another friend who is also looking for a light weight outbound application control to work with a router! I am still searching and hopefully very soon I will find something as I am wary about installing Sygate on my new system as the new version has one too many bugs and another thing their forum has a lot of 'unanswered' posts now which really makes me :'(

4. Infinity

Snook, are you saying you are more a target if we know your setup config??

5. Snook

Snook Registered Member

Possibly...

6. Infinity

oeps. damn. so all the persons sending their hjt logs are ignorant (not bad language intended) they want to get rid of their spyware but does leave their whole config open for everybody??

that I didn't knew. at least didn't thought this could be a thread.

now I think of it... you could be right on spot.

thanx

7. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Snook and INFINITY,

The only way somebody could attack you is if they have your IP address or email address. The HJT log does not appear to contain the person's IP address or email. Sometimes they contain the DNS server that you connect to. So in order for the bad guys to use your config against you (unlikely), they have to infect and control the DNS server that you connect to (very unlikely) then somehow attack you through your connection to the DNS server. If you are concerned about that, just mask out any personally identifying IP addresses or domains (******) from the HJT log.
    If you are concerned about a malicious website logging your IP then somehow finding and connecting your HJT config to your IP and then launching a custom tailored attack against you (Really unlikely), then you can use an Anonymizing proxy like Anonymizer or JAP. The spyware fighters are really kind and selfless people who went through special training just to help others so there is nothing to worry about with them. Even if your IP and email were in the HJT, there are so many easier targets for the bad guys.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  8. Infinity

thanx Devinco.

I was wondering that... good to have some answers :D

9. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I would still love to know where I can find a lightweight firewall for application control o_O I didn't think it was unsafe to post details of my security as most members have a list of all the layers they use on this and on ohter forums. I know SP2 will include a better firewall than the current XP one but I still feel I will need a 3rd party but not just as heavy as Sygate Pro as more and more it is conflicting with other software and a router firewall :'( Still searching....

10. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

Lightweight firewall?

Kerio 2.1.4 (the 2.1.5 is unstable in my system).Never seen it more than 5 MB RAM ,CPU usage virtually none. With a freshly rebooted Win XP i ve seen it consuming 1,4 MB RAM only and running p2p at the same time!Why don't they make them like this anymore??

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Kerio 2.15 is as light as they get. It takes awhile to learn.
    I use it on XP behind a router.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8023708~mode=flat

12. Infinity

Outpost pro for me and my belkin router. (7mb in mem.) :D

13. oonocando

oonocando Registered Member

You can find alot of info about firewalls at http://www.firewallguide.com check it out.If you add that info with the info supplyed in this thread theres no dout youll find a firewall that youll be comfortable with.

14. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Lightweight software firewalls with application control;

Freeware; Kerio 2.5, not the new version which is still too unstable.

Commercial; LookNStop, taking up only 2200K VM on my WinXP box.

15. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Ihave a licence for the EZ firewall but choose to use LooknStop . I have found that EZ firewall does slow down my old system after a time . (win98se 128 ramz) However my looknstop is excellent . The anti virus is good though and lite on my system .

16. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks for the info on the other firewalls. I did consider LookNStop until I read the posts about configuring when you have a router (which I have)

I will look at Kerio although this would be the freeware version (I don't mind a subscription to any of my security products) I will look at the back version as stability is important no matter what! I think Kerio actually likes AVG which the new build of Sygate doesn't like :( I do have a dilemma as I know I need to control my outbound traffic but o_O Thanks again for the info I will research Kerio now. It seems the more feature added the more conflicts arise and somehow they are not being addressed or the bugs fixed. The big worry with Sygate is the loopback issue with proxy security software and Port 80! Only for my router this port would just be closed and not stealth blocked - Sygate knows about this but so far the fix has not been included.

Thanks to everyone I have plenty of research links now!!!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2004
  17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I have ZoneAlarm Free behind a router. Just for fun I went to www.numion.com to test my speed. I kept disabling and then reenabling the ZA to see if there was any difference in download speed, there was none, having ZA enabled or disabled made absolutely no difference in my speed ... I will NOT do the same test removing my router, the router stays no matter what. Good luck.

Acadia

18. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have just been looking at Outpost firewall and see another program on their site called 'Jammer' it does not work with a firewall but seems to be an application control and will stop just about anything :eek: I have never heard of it before and wonder does anyone know anything about this application o_O

http://www.agnitum.com/products/jammer/features.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.