DNSCrypt for Windows official release

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by elapsed, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlu

tlu Guest

See post #18.

2. Re: OpenDNS for Windows official release

Looks good. What about the latency and any slowdown on your computer's performance?

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Re: OpenDNS for Windows official release

I don't notice any increased network latency, but on my dual core laptop the client uses about 5% cpu. I can live with that, but I'm hoping it will become more efficient as they continue to develop it.

4. learningcurve

learningcurve Registered Member

Received firewall notication that dnscrypt wanted to connect to gist.github.com (or something close this) . Denied. Since it is out of beta (beta was compiled then offered at gihub forum), should this happen? Did not occur with beta version, btw. Anyone else see this?

Speed is good, no other issues.

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It's probably just trying to update.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yes that's normal. As stated already it does this when checking for updates. This manifest file is downloaded.

7. learningcurve

Thanks Hungryman and elapsed for setting that straight. Will look into how it operates in more detail now that I know it has additional function than beta version.

FYI, I have now seen the OpenDnsInterface in Taskmgr run at 27% of CPU, CPU temp running near max, and fan high. This was when I was not connected to lan/internet. Once connected seemed to normalize to 2-3%.

8. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

In this latest version, I noticed that the memory usage has improved greatly.

9. elapsed

The latest version (.5) fixes the CPU usage. I had some troubles acquiring it myself but supposedly the way you're supposed to update is to click some blue text saying something along the line of "update available" in the GUI.

10. learningcurve

Funnkydude,

I now see the issue I experienced described exactly in the Release Notes for .4. Thanks to your heads up about the update link, I'm on .5. Hope the issue is solved.

By way of explanation: not sure I like how the program connects out to sites not immediately identifiable as opendns/dnscrypt (github & ellie.everbook.com?), so I put off opening Release Notes link (unsandboxed) in interface.

11. JagPop

JagPop Registered Member

Ok, just installed DNSCrypt a few minutes ago. :thumb:

However, I have to use the "slower" option -
    DNSCript over TCP / 443
    in order to get it to work.

I am using Verizon FIOS. Have done some quick Googling and have not found a solution (don't want to use the "slower" option). If this has already been covered I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks!

12. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

either im blind or this hasnt been completely answered yet , so if i am using a vpn , do i need this or what? , thanks in advance as usual ;)

13. elapsed

Today I realized that for some reason the GUI program is running at High integrity, I don't know if this is on purpose or another sign of shoddy beta coding, but I've added all the files to EMET, including:

OpenDNSInterface.exe
    OpenDNSCryptService.exe
    dnscrypt-proxy.exe

Basically all the executables in the OpenDNS directory, haven't seen any issues.

14. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

You don't have to:

http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html

PD

15. Hungry Man

Weird. My DNSCrpyt runs a service but I don't think it's root and the apparmor profile doesn't show it needing root either.

16. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Yea, the GUI requires high integrity rights. I did mail them about it, they said the engineer's are aware of it and it will be addressed in the coming builds.

17. elapsed

Like I said, the GUI, not the service. But I was talking about the Windows version, being the Windows thread n' all. I didn't even realize there was a GUI for Linux as I've had to launch the proxy every boot with --daemonize.

I don't doubt that as it's obvious these are early stages :p Thanks!

18. Hungry Man

You shouldn't have to launch it every boot. Didn't realize you meant the GUI.

19. elapsed

The only way I could get the latest version was to manually download the proxy from here, and launch it manually every boot using --daemonize. I don't think I could get the "official" version installed and it was way outdated.

Unfortunately the various Linux files have since been removed for whatever reason.

20. Hungry Man

I have an init script for it to start at boot, forgot about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.