DNSCrypt and VPN: is this safe?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by FuZzY_BuBbLeS, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am using Mullvad's VPN service, and as expected www.dnsleaktest.com shows only Mullvad DNS servers.

I tried using DNSCrypt at the same time as the VPN to see what would happen, and now dnsleaktest shows an OpenDNS server in Norway. Without using a VPN, but still using DNSCrypt, it shows an OpenDNS server in my home country.

Does this mean that DNSCrypt and OpenDNS only see the IP address of the VPN when I use them at the same time, hence the location of the OpenDNS server changes, or do they still see my real IP?

2. No worries, I figured it out by myself. To check for IP leaks/see what IP OpenDNS will see, run the following commands in command prompt:

nslookup
    > set type=txt
    > debug.opendns.com

The result will look something like this:
    debug.opendns.com text =
    "server 5.fra"
    debug.opendns.com text =
    "flags 20 0 2f4 0"
    debug.opendns.com text =
    "id 0"
    debug.opendns.com text =
    "source <your IP will be here>:53728"
    debug.opendns.com text =
    "dnscrypt enabled (34GK67987909)"

The IP address after "source" is the IP they see in their logs, so it should match the one you get from your VPN. Using DNSCrypt, I got the "dnscrypt enabled" message and my 'fake' IP was shown, so it's all good: DNS queries encrypted, and OpenDNS doesn't know who I am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.