DNS server changes from ISP's IP's to my router's IP...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Chuck_IV, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

Not sure why this is happening, as it occured twice, over the weekend.

Before Friday, if I did an IPConfig /all the DNS servers listed would be my ISP's(Charter cable) DNS server IP's, which is what I had a SVCHost rule set up to allow access to(I use Outpost 2.7 firewall). Everything was fine this way for a couple weeks but come Friday evening, I get a strange Error dialog from iexplorer(Of course I didn't pay attention to what it said, as I get error dialogs on occassion from poorly written websites). I close the dialog and suddenly don't have internet access anymore. I run an ipconfig /all and see that now my DNS server listed is the ip to my router(Netgear RP614) 192.168.0.1(my router is doing DHCP). It is no longer the IP's from my cable company. o_O

I decided to do an IPConfig /release and /renew but for some reason it wouldn't renew. So I forced my cable company's DNS ip's into XP's TCPIP setting and was able to renew. I then set it back to automatically obtain everything and rebooted. After doing an IPConfig /ALL I'm back to showing my cable company's DNS IP's, as my DNS server again(and not my router), like it was previous. :eek: Come last night, the DNS server changed AGAIN, back to my router's IP, after that same strange error dialog from iexplorer(again I missed what it said).

Anyone know what may be causing my DNS server to change from my cable company's IP to my router?

Thanx

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Chuck,

I do this all the time. What I do is connect my ISP's Etherenet connection to one of the switch ports on the router, not the WAN port. This allows the PC to bypass the firewall all together. You have to use a software firewall if you do this.

I hope this helps.

3. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Your lease expires on the ISP DNS server and it switches over to your router, as it should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.