DNS Server change on a Proxied connection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section but I didn't know where to post it.

The story is:

My ISP in Dubai (Etisalat) used to force users to manually enter a proxy server to be able to use their internet

proxy1.emirates.net.ae Port: 8080

last 2 years this has changed and users no longer need to enter anything in the proxy settings but the connection still goes through their proxy server anyway

so I have 2 questions regarding changing my DNS servers:

1) Is it true that even if I change my DNS settings from the router I am not actually using them since my connection runs through a proxy? Is a valid argument or can I safely change the DNS servers to one that I want and benefit from its usage?

2) When I changed my DNS server to Google or OpenDNS and run the namebench utility, it told me that there are faster DNS servers and *claimed* that my ISP's DNS servers are 80% faster :eek:

This either:
    a) not true
    b) maybe true, but due to the proxy server runnig, this is why I *felt* that browsing webpages is faster
    c) this is very true, I should stick to my ISP's DNS and the little speed burst I felt while browsing and how snappy loading pages was is just a *placebo* effect

Please guide meh I am l0$t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.