DNS Question (Open DNS)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Function, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Function

Function Registered Member

I have been reading around and more and more people are suggesting to use your own specific DNS rather than the one your ISP gives you. (For better security, privicy etc)

I have been looking at OpenDNS that members of this forum seem to like, however I found out that some people have a issue with using OpenDNS as they have a Dynamic IP. I have a Dynamic IP and I would like to use OpenDNS.

I read more into this and found that it would only affect you if you wanted to customise your filter (so it does affect your IP). In order to have this custom filter with OpenDNS you need to download a update program but I don't want to download or deal with something like that.

However I also read that you can still use OpenDNS with a Dynamic IP if you don't care about the custom filter.

Is it possible for me to set up my router to use OpenDNS while having a Dynamic IP.? At this point I do not care to customise which specific sites I want blocked.

2. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Yes it is.

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Be aware Open DNS has little in the way of protection (no malware site blocking and such, unless you pay I believe.) For a better alternative if you want a free option, try out Norton DNS. Privacy isn't really the point, as any of these are still going to know where you go (that's just how it all works, they have to know) and most keep logs at least for a specified time. Alternative DNS is more about actual security and, mostly, speed as often times ISP provided DNS can be slow at times.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Norton DNS works very well, I used it for some time... At the moment I'm using my ISP's DNS servers, they are very fast, so I have no speed issues. But I can recommend Norton also...

5. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Only OpenDNS offers DNSCrypt which is a very interesting (and recent) security technology. More info on the most interesting features of OpenDNS. As for malware blocking, I suppose that Norton DNS blocks more malware sites (OpenDNS only provides some protection against phishing sites, more strong malware blocking is a feature of "OpenDNS Enterprise"), however if one has other strong blockers in place (such as the one provided by Norton 360 for example), this feature may be considered less relevant than DNSCrypt IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.