DNS hijacking by ISP's.

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Mayahana, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I have no gear provided by my ISP.

Again, it doesn't matter which DNS server is used, or what settings are on the router. The issues are taking place on a hub the ISP runs.

2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

WideOpenWest has ceased running malicious DNS servers, or hijacking searches - at least for me. They stopped doing this 5 days ago after I went very public with it, started notifying the press, posting it to the public, and then emailing their backbone engineers and upper management.

No redirects, no DNS hijacks, and no packet injections anymore. Too late though, my new 110Mbps/20Mbps connection is being installed on Saturday, and it's $20 cheaper a month.

It's good to see them bow to pressure, but this has been ongoing for 6 months.

3. inka

inka Registered Member

If I were you, I'd be curious to learn whether they've ceased the practice, period, or just opted-out your account in particular.
    In any event, thanks for speaking up about what you've experienced.

4. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

Though of course I'd say to always use a VPN or the like, and even though you've now switched providers- it does help all those people who are still customers to that ISP. I'm glad you were able to change it for the better. :thumb:

5. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I didn't switch providers. Comcast totally botched the install, so I told them to take a hike. If you can't handle an install correctly, or bring the right gear, and want me to wait another 1-2 weeks, then I really question them as a company.

Now WideOpenWest is back to redirecting Google searches. It was flowing normally for a couple of days, now they are back to hijacking it..

6. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

What a frustrating thread to read through ----- for you. I would just take back control via a solid vpn and lock down to their tunnel. That way even the "backbone advantaged" can go pound sand! Unfortunately the masses don't know how to handle these ISP invasions of privacy. In reality its quite easy, but it really should be unnecessary

7. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Is Comcast and WOW the only options available? If you don't absolutely need to have cable service speeds, I'd consider a local DSL service provider. Here, we have a small DSL company that most around here have never heard of. The speed is on the low side but the service is reliable. They don't mess with your DNS or block/throttle any services. There's no data limits. Best of all, they don't play games with the bill. The price of the service hasn't changed in the last 5 years. If speed isn't the biggest priority, they're an excellent alternative.

8. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

We have a lot of options.. AT&T has pathetic speeds, and forces you to use their gear.

I'm sticking with WOW, as they are testing 115/115 and 150/150 this week.. I was popping 115 stable a couple of nights ago.. I have confirmation of a WOW Engineer they are dialing up speeds massively in the area, and REMOVING the spy gear, which was increasing latency. Speed is by far my highest consideration. I would buy 300/300 if I could! We run 25-50 clients in the home, sometimes 3-4 of them streaming at once. So speed is paramount.

Attached Files:

9. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

Again, not to repeat myself, but I'd forward everything you've found out to the EFF or the like and use a VPN from now on. Obviously keep testing them every couple of months or whatever.

I'm also on an ISP I hate, yet are the only ones to offer the best speed in my area. :( (aren't we all though?)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.