DMON and opening Word Documents

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Tatersalad, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatersalad

Tatersalad Registered Member

Since I installed 2.5 with DMON I can’t open word documents by double clicking on them. All I see is “requesting virus scan” in the bottom left of word for a few seconds then nothing.

I can however open all my word documents from within word 2000. I tried disabling DMON and re-starting it still says “requesting virus scan” then nothing.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Try clicking the Quit button in the main DMON panel.

3. Tatersalad

That worked, my .doc are opening with a double click now. Strange is there something I can do to help you track this bug down?

4. jayt

jayt Registered Member

I have no trouble opening my Word documents, but according to Dmon each time I open one it is scanned twice. Is that a bug?

5. NOD user

NOD user Guest

Same thing happens here. I would also like to know whether this is a feature or a bug.

6. Tatersalad

I restarted DMON and sometimes they open and sometimes not. I’m not sure what’s going on perhaps DMON is delaying the opening just long enough for word to forget what it was doing. I don’t know. I can open .doc’s fine from within word so I’m not going to let it bother me.

7. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Any .dot files that load are scanned first (i.e. normal.dot and PDFMaker.dot), then the document.

8. NOD user

NOD user Guest

Thanks very much for the explanation. :)

9. rumpstah

Hi Tatersalad:

Check to see on which .dot it is hanging. Open up the NOD32 Control Center and click on DMON. Open up the document and switch back to the Control Center to see which .dot is causing the hang.

One can also do a search for .dot after opening the document and then sort by the first column and look for ~filename.dot.

It may be a corrupt .dot file.

10. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    You can always do a search for the normal.dot file, delete any you find. A fresh one will be created the next time Winword runs.

11. Tatersalad

When I open a .doc successfully DMON show that document as the last one scanned. When it hangs it shows normal.dot as the last file scanned. Doing a search for normal.dot returned no results. I have show all files selected.

I just noticed if I have a keep a word file open all the others will open fine. It’s random too the same file will open then not open.

12. rumpstah

Look here: C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

and delete the normal.dot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.