dll protection

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by donsan709, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donsan709

donsan709 Registered Member

HI all just one question.Should the protection for setting new dll's be checked i have not done that yet and if checked does it create any problems when downloading new programs.Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi donsan709, No rpoblems for most programmes but if you are loading updates to low level apps such as firewalls, system files or other security software then you can temporally disable PG and re-enable after the updates.
    Most windows updates usually occcurr when you reboot so they are generally not a problem.
    I have had a BSOD on reboot a couple of times but usually switching the PC off completely and rebooting again cures any problems. This is probably due to driver timing issueswhen loading.

HTH Pilli

3. donsan709

thank you for the quick resonse you are a great help to this fourm. In your opinion do you think it is inportant to tick that dll protection for just a home user

4. donsan709

Just one more question. I surf the net mostly with firebird and keep IE as the default browser do i need to add firebird to my protection list.

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

donsan709 wrote,

Yes, As most if not all Trojans or other malicious programmes are picked up in your email or from the Internet. especially if you do file sharing (Kazza) or on-line game playing. This is because you are opening up ports by making these connections, these open ports can be used as a conduit for attack directly into your PC.

Regarding Firebird, protecting it with PG is a good idea as is protecting any application that is named in your firewall rules.Firebird is probably safer than IE for general surfing but IE can be secured with the correct set up. .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.