dissimilar hardware restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mike lin, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike lin

mike lin Registered Member

Hi,

I am new to this product.

is it possible for Trueimage for server to restore image on dissimilar hardware (eg. NT 4.0 image on compaq server with RAID-5 ==> Dell PC with IDE drive only) ?? o_O

Many Thanks! :)

regards,

Mike

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. mike lin

mike lin Registered Member

Hi,

I have read the faq section. what I want to do is migrate my existing PDC (with other apps installed on it) to a faster P4 PC. However, it sounds scary to run sysprep.exe on a domain controller. Anyone has done that before ?

Thanks & regards,

Mike

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mike,

Please note that running Sysprep is the only way to migrate Windows operating system to different hardware. Please also note that we cannot guarantee the successfull result of this operation.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

This is not exactly true... Sysprep has it's uses, but upgrading your hardware is not what it's good at. Instead of using Sysprep, once you have cloned the drive and put the clone in the new system, prior to booting up, do a Windows XP Repair Installation (assuming you are using XP). Follow directions here (method 2):
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

The Repair Installation will normalize your XP installation to the new hardware by loading the correct drivers, etc.
    I've done this before and it works fine. Read the whole article though, there is always potential for data loss (with anything) so be sure you have an Image backup stored safely somewhere else.

Good luck

6. Eviltwin

Eviltwin Registered Member

This would work if it were a XP machine but he did state that it's a server, specifically a PDC in a domain. ;)

7. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

you're right - I missed the NT 4 part.... Not reading close enough. Thanks

8. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

The short answer: Yes.

The long answer: Yes, True Image can restore the image onto your Dell PC. But what you really want to know is, if the Windows NT 4.0 that suddenly finds itself running on a completely different piece of hardware can survive the transplant. And here the answer is: Most likely not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.