Disseminating Executables

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by EdP, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdP

EdP Registered Member

Occasionally, I create a slideshow using IrfanView and save it as an EXE file. Sometimes I want to send it to others, but emailing it can be problematic because most people have some sort of email monitoring software that goes ballistic when an EXE file shows up.

I've thought of simply omitting the extension and have the recipients rename the file. Two problems with that - one, I think some monitoring programs scan the file instead of just looking at the extension and two, some people don't know how to rename a file.

So I thought of uploading the file to a file-sharing site such as DROP.IO and have the chosen recipients download and run it. Now my concern is that such a site can be compromised by nefarious jerks who replace EXE files with malware executables having the same name.

Maybe it's back to the post office?

EdP

2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Just use a program like 7Zip to zip and encrypt it. Make sure the file names are encrypted too.

3. EdP

EdP Registered Member

What does the recipient need to have installed on his PC to unzip the file?

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

The best thing is to upload it somewhere and then send a md5 signature to your friends, so they can compare the sum of the downloaded file with the one you uploaded.

In most cases, I would not want to receive an .exe from a friend in an email, especially if it comes in a passworded archive ...

Mrk

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

If you decide to use 7-zip, since it's free, all your recipients can download it as well. If you also wish to have the Zip file password protected, make sure to either let them know what it is, ahead of time, or include the password in your message.

6. EdP

EdP Registered Member

Thanks for the input.

EdP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.