Dissapointed

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by niteghost, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

They do recommend making a backup of the MBR after installing FD-ISR. From the Help file:
    There is an option to store this somewhere other than a floppy disk, but the instructions aren't that clear as they refer to "a network path".

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I guess we've all had one issue. I found that weird bug. But what I do now is periodically restore one of my archives into a new test snapshot and confirm I can boot to it. That way if some does go haywire, I can always either recover with an old image that has FDISR, or just install windows and FDISR, and I know my archives have been tested.

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Much has been discussed about the back up programs in the event of unexpected failure of FD-ISR. Very interesting. I have thereby make up a SOS emergency plan as follows. Can someone tell me if there is any room for improvement? I have ATI(acronis true image) as a back up. What I have done is this: Image all disk files into ATI's secure zone (this means including all snap shots). If the most unfortunate thing has ever happened,( excluding hard disk failure), I can reboot into safe mode and boot into ATI, restore all disk image from its secure zone back into disk 1 (the only one). Your advice is greatly appreciated.:)

4. furballi

furballi Registered Member

Why do all of this work, then EXCLUDE the possibility of a HDD failure? You should, at minimum, create an image file of the OS (usually primary active C partition) and put this image file on a slave HDD. Do this at least once a month.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Perman

I can't say I see a point in this. If it were me, I'd remove the secure zone, and keep BOTH ATI images and FDISR archives on an external drive. The likihood FDISR will let you down is slim, but it if did your ATI image on the eternal drive would cover you, and your archives should still be good. This would be equally true with a hard disk failure.

Pete

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have an external drive. I guess the solution in that case is to store the ATI image on CD.

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I would create an ATI rescue CD and test that it boots.
    In case you are not able to install a second harddrive, internal or external, I would also create an ATI image which contains the OEM installation (or only one single snapshot) and store that on CD/DVD.

8. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

You just need to read a little more carefully than you have been furballi. MOST OF US DO EXACTLY THAT if not more frequently.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The safest way to backup your system and data is an external harddisk or removable harddisk.
    If you don't have it, use a separate physical internal harddisk.
    If you don't have it, use another partition on the same physical harddisk.
    These are the fastest and safest backup/restore solutions : disk to disk.

If you don't have all that, use a DVD.
    If you don't have DVD, use a CD.
    These are the slowest backup/restore solutions and certainly not my personal choice, but not everybody can
    afford more expensive solutions.

Image backup (Acronis True Image, in my case) is a MUST and make sure it works : backup and restore.
    You can't live without backup, unless you like to lose your data and re-install your computer manually and this has nothing to do with internet, you also need image backup without internet.
    Create also a recovery CD, because there are situations you will need it and some users prefer to use their recovery CD for each backup/restore operation.

Immediate System Recovery (FirstDefense-ISR, in my case) is LUXURY, you don't really need it, but it's very handy to have, because in most cases, you can recover your system much faster than with image backup.
    Most problems are solved with a simple reboot in a healthy snapshot.
    FirstDefense-ISR is not only an immediate system recovery software, it can be used in many different ways.
    You have to figure that out for yourself, how you will use FD-ISR besides immediate system recovery.
    It depends on your imagination. :)

10. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Nice summary, ErikAlbert.:thumb:

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

I ,from the bottom of my heart, echo your comment. Hi, folks: So many thanks to you all providing me so much valuable advice. I will digest each recommendation very thoroughly and implement the necessary. Again, THANKS.

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I did have an MBR cd disc I created that I had tested and had worked, even with that it was a no go.:doubt:

13. screamer

screamer Registered Member

We've all had experiences w/ software failing us at some point. Nothing is perfect & never say never. It's especially dissapointing when its system critical software e.g. BackUp / Imaging.
    For the price of ATI & FD-ISR one could also purchase an external / internal HDD and justify it as "the cost of owning a computer".

just my 2 cents

...screamer

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I also created this MBR-floppy, just in case, but somehow I think I will never need it, because when FDISR itself fails, I prefer to restore my system partition and MBR with Acronis True Image and it worked each time and I've done this so many times.
    You don't even have to enable or disable the Pre-boot in FDISR.
    Of course I always do a backup BEFORE I start fooling around with new softwares, just in case when FDISR itself fails.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.