Diskeeper or PerfectDisk?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Jadda, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

Thats correct unlike DK which monitors files.

2. RAD

RAD Registered Member

After trying the free-trial of most of them, I chose PerfectDisk.

But they all seem to work.
    UD is more user-customizable, but it does not do offline defrag of locked system files, which almost all the others do. That seems like a big deal, because the system files get fragmented as much or more than anything else, and they are in constant use.

With DK, you have the "Scientology issue" and widespread reports of poor customer service and response. But it works fine.

Another strong contender that I tried and it works perfectly is Paragon's Ultimate Defrag 2007. I am surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often. It is customizable, does system-file defrag, and has very good customer support. It was going to be my next choice behind PerfectDisk.

PerfectDisks "Stealth Mode" is really amazing. Your diskas are always just magically at or near 0% fragmentation with no interaction from the user.

3. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Just a random check of one of my data drives under Stealth-Mode control.

Attached Files:

4. mando

mando Registered Member

Diskeeper

5. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Used Diskeeper before, but it slowed my computer too much.
    Whenever I contacted support, I always got a response the day after.
    Now I'm a happy PerfectDisk 2008 user and I'm not changing it. :cool:

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

ONLY Ultimate Defrag loyal now, but i will add this. When i was trialing PerfectDisk it was simply amazing, the response times were boosted notable and all of it was automatic. If not for some uncounted on issues theres no doubt it would been my favorite.

7. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

For all the PerfectDisk and FD-ISR users.....is it better to use "SMARTPlacement" or "Defreg Only" option when you have multiple snapshots on your drive?

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Birdman

i use smart placement. Works fine.

Pete

9. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Great. Thanks Pete! :)

10. RAD

RAD Registered Member

I tried the other schemes, but they left incontiguous regions. So I went back to Smartplacement and quit experimenting.

11. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I personally prefer Windows built-in, it does use the Diskeeper engine.:)

12. molitar

molitar Registered Member

I have given up on PerfectDisk since Raxco are idiots and after 3 new versions still can't fix their damn offline defrag problem! No other defragger has issues with offline defrag but almost no matter what I run on mine the offline defrag will not offline defrag.. reports every single damn time that it can not gain exclusive access.. What CRAP is that!!!

I think I will look into Ultimate Defrag since many here recommend it.. I was looking at O&O or Diskeeper until I read this thread to replace the very buggy PerfectDisk that isn't perfect at all.

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Hi,

I only faced this particular offline defrag problem once with PD 7. The solution was to run CHKDSK and it seemed to be the fix.

14. RAD

RAD Registered Member

I had a refusal to run an offline defrag, but only on a disk where I had moved my system personal folders (My Documents, My Videos, etc..) and was defragging multiple disks offline. My personal folders are not on the system/boot disk.

If I just selected that disk alone, it went fine.

15. molitar

Well mine never works at all.. and I have alot of software on mine so NO IDEA what could be the problem.. KIS? Daemon Tools even tho it's updated, DVDFab, ect.. their is just no damn clue and why can't Raxco fix their damn software again no clue.. But NO other defragger has problems with offline but stupid PerfectDisk.

16. Peter2150

Probably the reason they can't fix their software, is the problem is most likely not their software. I have not trouble at all with the off line defrag on 4 different machines. You have a conflict somewhere, and they have no way of fixing it.

17. molitar

Has nothing to do with my system.. has to do with Raxco are total and utter idiots! Look at the list of supposed conflicts located here BUT no other defragger has ANY of these issues. That means Raxco developers have no damn clue what they are doing or they would not have these conflicts since I have tested O&O Defrag, Diskeeper, and Paragon Total Defrag and not a SINGLE ONE of these had any problems doing a boot time defrag.

Oh and to let you know I have already removed daemon tools and I have no other software on that list yet it still can't do an offline defrag.. What a useless software. This issue started after PerfectDisk 6 and has not been fixed yet.. They broke it in version 7 and never fixed it.. I never read about any issues with offline defrag until version 7.. And they are too damn lazy to fix their software correctly to not have conflicts like the other defrag companies have done.

The excuse that they have no way of fixing it is total and utter bull because if that was the case than Diskeeper, O&O, and Total Defrag wouldn't work either yet they do with no issues at all. And I just tested them 3 today after posting.. installed one.. tested offline defrag.. uninstalled.. tested another.. all 3 passed just to see if offline defrag worked ok.. for non offline it really does seem that Ultimate Defrag is really good from my testing tonight.

18. Peter2150

Well then your solution is simple. Instead of ranting, switch.

19. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Actually it has everything to do with your system as a whole (and im not excluding Perfectdisk here).

The symptom is Perfectdisk offline defrag not working, but you have yet to provide any kind of diagnosis.

You need to step back and stop blaming Raxco, throwing insults and potentially slanderous comments until YOU actually find out what the cause of the problem is !

Why you think that "no other defragger has ANY of these issues", illogical conclusion (if you cant see in the dark, does that mean there is nothing there) ?

I know Diskeeper has atleast a few of them, but Diskeeper does not document it at all on their website.

A lot of these issues are not to do with the defrag software bugs, but the other apps preventing the boot time defagmentation running.

No it does not, it means they are providing honest/accurate documentation.

I cannot follow your logic, where have you diagnosed and confirmed that the problem on your machine is caused by one of the listed conflicts ?

Did you test the other defragmentation software with any of the listed software that conflicts to confirm that this is infact the issue ?

Actually Perfectdisk 6 had a similar list (I spoke to them on support many moons ago), might not of been on their website.

What is "it" ? you have yet to tell us what the problem actually is.

Did you test these other defrag tools, with ANY listed conflicting software installed ?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.