diskeeper 2007 or perfect disk 8?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by lodore, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilbertqc

Gilbertqc Registered Member

I've used the PerfectDisk's offline defrag to defrag system files about once a month for about 5 years. I usually end up doing it on the second Wednesday of the month after MS gives us our monthly fix and forced to reboot. My system is usually up 24/7.

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Thanks Gilbertqc, I will do it in the next few days after my wife's account is deleted. Take care.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

how slow is perfectdisk?
    it seems to take ages its only on 2 percent?
    lodore

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

How badly fragmented is your machine? I've found neither DK nor PD to be particularly slow when working from a reasonable base. The first time for either can be a bit of a job if the disk has been heavily used, never defragmented, and has minimal free space.

Blue

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well it isnt fraggmented much at all since diskeeper defrags it daily.
    its on 7percent now.
    note i put it on adgesive free space consolation
    it seems to be getting faster atm.
    perfect disk uses three processes when its running and i think diskeeper does as well.
    raxco white papers seem to lie.
    it says in typical defraggers the biggest free space is very very little but i just done a analysis with perfectdisk after using diskeeper for ages and my biggest free space is 21.2gb but it has a red exclamation mark next it to why?
    isnt 21.2 gb bigg enough free space geez how big do you need it?
    also pd engine is using 36mb and pd agent is using 8.6mb
    dk service is using 10mb
    dkicon is using 3.9mb
    defrag ntfs is using 47mb atm while its in use.
    im only analysing with perfectdisk atm after ive done a defrag to see if diskeeper missed any files.
    because perfectdisk says that diskeeper misses somefiles and doesnt report on them and im about to see.
    lodore
    this is very odd, as i said earlier perfectdisk was working slowly so i stopped it and closed it.
    now im doing a diskeeeper defrag and now it says its highly fragmented where as normal it says it isnt wtf?
    I analyzed with both programs and they both reported the most fraggmented files as the same ones and both reported 17.
    21.2gb is big free space in the sence that it would fragment quickly due to the new files can go in one place.
    so if you considering getting a defragger try all the options to see what works for you.
    lodore

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  6. gregshayes

gregshayes Registered Member

Different defragmenters calculate fragmentation percentages differently. For example, the built-in defragmenter calculates it based on the number of fragmented clusters compared to total clusters on the drive. PerfectDisk calculates it based on number of fragmented files compared to total files on the drive. So, fragmentation percentage isn't necessarily the best indicator. Defragmenters also differ in displaying other types of fragmentation related information. For example, some defragmenters report how fragmented free space is - other's do not. Some report on all NTFS metadata fragmentation - others only report on $MFT fragmentation. Where the different defragmenters should closely agree is the list of most fragmented files.

If you run defragmenter B after defragmenter A has run, the defragmenter B may "move" files around - especially if it has a file placement strategy that is different than the one used by defragmenter A (or defragmenter A may not have a file placement strategy at all). Stopping a defrag pass in the middle and then comparing to see which one did a better job only leads to in-accurate results.

Regards,

- Greg/Raxco Software
    Microsoft MVP - Windows File Systems

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

7. Gilbertqc

Gilbertqc Registered Member

Just to add a bit to what has been posted...

If you have gone with file placement, it needs to move many files according to its frequency of mod usage which means you have a whole lot of files to move at the very beginning of this method. Once the data is placed in the correct order, subsequent defrags are rather quick if you do it after a reasonable amount of time. Remember, this first pass is not only defragmentation but file order placing involving a lot of file displacement. Of course, if files rarely modified are placed first, there is a reasonable expectancy they won't be changed soon either so subsequent defrag passes won't involve as many files to be displaced.

Wellcome Greg! Happy to see you around. If memory serves me right, you also helped me out about 5 years ago or so. You happen to be working for one of the very few sw companies I highly respect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.