Diskeeper® 12 Released

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Triple Helix, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superssjdan

superssjdan Registered Member

Have been using Diskeeper for YEARS and it's been the one program i buy year after year.I have it installed on all my pcs..2012 on this one and 2011 on the others.I couldn't imagine life without it.No matter what pc or os i have installed it on,each and every system performs significantly better than without..even better than a fresh factory installed system.

2. SQBI

SQBI Registered Member

One thing makes me wonder: diskeeper constantly monitors our hdd's in realtime for changes in file structures, this seems to rely on continuous disk map comparing. When a change is discovered, then the defrag immediately kicks in (in idle time).
    Question: can the mechanism mentioned above reduce the hdd life span in any step? The whole thing seems to be quite aggressive. It's a constant activity.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I don't use diskeeper, but it's valid to ask if the overhead of any defrag program causes more or less drive wear than it saves. It's also good to look at how much disk IO constant background defragging creates and how it impacts the responsiveness of the system.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i will not ever run a constant defrag. its not needed imo. i use perfectdisk but it does not defrag automatically. i open it and do it. i do however use a schedule. but i do not let them run all the time

5. moontan

moontan Registered Member

no way i'd let them run all the time either.

i find defraging once or twice a month is enough in my case.
    now that i'm on a SSD it's of course not needed as Win 8 optimize and trim the SSD, so i only use it on my data drive spinner.

so i defrag even less now that i have a SSD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.