Disk Manager 12 - max split size

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by John2222, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John2222

John2222 Registered Member

Is there some way or option to increase the split size to something greater than 4 GB?

I would like to be able to change it so that after the backup finishes, I can burn a blu-ray disc from my external hard drive folder. So 23 GB would be an approximate logical split size.

It seems like I can have no splitting (gives me 60 GB!) or I can have something like 4 GB. I tried changing the ini file without luck.

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Yes, you can change this by going into the advanced launcher of the software and under the tools and settings options you will find it under backup image options, you will see the image splitting which you can choose to have on or off, and choose the size of the split.

3. John2222

I have opened the Advanced Interface and then went to Tools/Settings/Backup Image Options

The LARGEST value you can put in "Maximum Split Size" is 4000 MB. Anything larger is not accepted.

Can you try it yourself and see?

I have version
    Paragon Hard Disk Manager, version 10.1.19.16240 (22.11.12 ) Suite

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I thought changing the value was the answer but I also found that B&R didn't want larger values either.

5. Paragon_Matt

I know of another potential way guys, but let me test it first to see if it will work, I will let you know soon.

6. Paragon_Matt

Ok, after multiple attempts through scripting and changing certain settings, I was able to perform it through a scheduled task, the script line you will look for will be mfs = 12288000 (splits to roughly about 12 GB), I believe this 23288000, should be roughly about 23GB to split. Just change it in the scheduled task and test.

7. John2222

Where do I find the scripting settings?

In the past I have always manually started a backup (usually Thursday nights) before retiring. So it has to run once a week or day now?

Wouldn't a simpler solution be just to remove the 4000 MB option restriction so I can put whatever value I want in the GUI interface? That gives the user full control for both manual and scheduled backups.

8. Paragon_Matt

its not under scripting settings, it was performed by altering the script in a scheduled task, that is going to be the only way, the 4000 MB restriction is a hard-coded limit by the developers, I am only an engineer, so I don't deal in rewriting the code, and it is set with that limit for the purpose of backing up to FAT32 filesystems, which has a limit of 4 GB per file, which is why that 4 GB file limit exists.

The only other option you have is to split the file via a scheduled task which you can do by simply re-writing the split size.

9. John2222

It must be passing me by, but where is the script in a scheduled task found? I looked all over in various folders but obviously can't find it. Thanks for your help.

Suggestion for the programmer/developers: Add option to allow sizes larger than 4000 as an advanced option. Thanks.

10. seekforever

IMO, for a non-programming end-user, the "scripting will handle it" argument is overdone by Paragon.

There is no reason that split-size can't be made larger and it isn't that hard to display a message warning about the FAT32 limitation or to just let it error out on the "Disk Full" message that is often displayed with a filesize greater than 4GB being transferred to a FAT32 partiltion.

I have complained about the limitation of not being able to tick a box requesting an automatic verification of the archive immediately after its creation but I'll mention it here again.

Even though I have some programming background, the scripting documentation is not an easy read and I'm not even certain it is complete.

11. John2222

I still can't find the scripting file. What is the name of it and what folder is it stored in?

12. seekforever

From my limited knowlege:
    The usual way of getting a scripting file is to go through the backup wizard setting up things for creating your archive and then near the end of the wizard there is a place to select whether you want to run the script or write it out. Select the create and store script option whatever it is called.

You can find the created script in a folder created under something like My Programs Paragon... The folder will be called Scripts2 a couple of examples of the differnetial and one or two more will be in the folder Scripts.

You can then edit the scripts file with Notepad to make whatever changes you want.

13. John2222

Thank you. I found it at:
    C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\Hard Disk Manager 12 Suite\scripts

The file name is scr_....psl (edit with notepad)

14. John2222

How do you enlarge the split size to 23GB for manual backups? I don't want to have a scheduled task to run every day/week/ etc. Just when I go through the wizard or save a manual task (if I could select and then run that in the future).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.