Disk image backup

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by surfer55, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfer55

surfer55 Registered Member

I have my hard drive divided in two partitions lets call them A and B. On partition A I have the operating system and on partition B some other files. I only need to backup partition A (not the whole hard drive), this way the image will be smaller and faster. I make an image backup of partition A only and store it on a 2nd hard drive. My question is, if the hard drive that I have the operating system on fail and replace it with a new one, will I be able to restore the backup image that I have stored in my 2nd hard drive? Remember the backup image I have is a backup of an individual partition not the whole hard drive. I'm concerned because I read somewhere that the image backup has to be the WHOLE hard drive to restore it when changing to a new hard drive.

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

You don't tell which software you use to image, but most products support restore of a single partition.
    And usually it doesn't need to be a same size partition either. ;)

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

when u backup a partition, u can restore it to another partition of the same or bigger size (correct me if im wrong).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.