Disk Editor for Linux

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Searching_ _ _, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Trying to find something useful to poke around in Linux like I did in Windows with Tiny Hex, had trouble finding something similar. Then I found this:

wxHexEditor

Features:

* It uses 64 bit file descriptors (supports files or devices up to 2^64 bytes , means some exabytes but tested only 128 TeraBytes file (yet). ).
    * It does NOT copy whole file to your RAM. That make it FAST and can open files (which sizes are Multi Giga < Tera < Peta < Exabytes)
    * Memory Usage : Currently 8.4 MegaBytes while opened multiple > ~8GB files
    * Written with C++/wxWidgets GUI libs and can be used with other OSes such as Mac OS, Windows...
    * You can copy/edit your HDD Sectors with it.( Usefull for rescue files/partitions by hand. )

Are there any other alternatives similar to Winhex for Linux?
    What do you use to view the disk?

edit: You can copy/edit your HDD Sectors with it.( Usefull for rescue files/partitions by hand. )<---I haven't been able to do this with version .08. So far, appears to be just a hex file editor.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  2. estra

estra Registered Member

Take a loot at iBored:

3. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

I have. It doesn't work on x86_64 Linux for me.
    Maybe permissions or installed in wrong directory. I think it requires access to certain files to run.

Good news for wxHexEditor. Developer says version .09 will contain disk access.
    There is not yet a binary, but can be compiled from SVN Trunk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.