Disk Director Problems

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by TAshifter88, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAshifter88

TAshifter88 Registered Member

Ok, so I've been trying to find some sort of software that will allow me to take away some space from my active partition (OS = XP Home), so I can use this extra space and make a separate partition ( for Vista). However, DD is being very.. frustrating, and I went through w/ "Creating a partition" using the extra space on my main C: partition. I dedicated 80GB to this new partition, labeled it as V: (VISTA), and set it as a primary partition (though I tried active as well, and am not quite sure which to really pick for what I want). It had shown the two separate partitions, and said to save changes I must Commit (reboot). I clicked commit, rebooted as asked, then it would come up w/ the blue screen showing a bunch of text about finalizing the Partition changes. Then it said successful, and rebooted, and came up with the same blue screen w/ text, though it was a bit different. If necessary, I can go back and jot down what it read,s but the second blue screen was different and showed good results as well. Thne it would boot up XP as it normally does. Though when I went to look back at my partitions it STILL only has my typical primary C: drive. I tried it about 5 times w/ NO success at all, and it's getting frustrating that after so many commits, it just doesn't save the changes! Am I doing something wrong? Or should I try a different software? Thanks everyone :D

EDIT: Ok, I've tried a few more things, and tried to just sipmly take it one step at a time, yet no matter what I do, the problem is that I can't take space away from my main partition and add it ot my other partition. It always asks for a reboot to commit, but NO luck..

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

TAShifter88:

If you can't get this to work from within Windows then make a recovery CD using the included Bootable Media Builder application. Boot with the recovery CD and try again.

If you are setting up to install Vista, there still are issues with installing Vista to a partition that was created by any other partitioning tools (Acronis Disk Director, PartitionMagic, gparted, etc.). Even though Disk Director build 2160 is supposed to be Vista-compatible, if you install Vista to a partition created and formatted by Disk Director, you will eventually encounter file corruption in Vista. I just read a post from a friend who just did this with build 2160, so beware.

Your best bet is to use Disk Director to resize your existing partitions and make room for Vista. Leave uncommitted free space where you'd like to install Vista. Then let the Vista installer create its own partition from the free space and format it. That usually works best.

EDIT: One more suggestion. Before you resize your C partition, defragment it in Windows. If there are any file fragments in the area that you are trying to free up, you won't be able to resize.

3. TAshifter88

hah, ya, I was thinking about going the Bootable media player route.. but I'm still not up to par with knowing how to do things there, but I'll probably end up doing a bit of searching around and trying from there.

As for taking the additional space from my main partition and adding space to an unpartitioned space and letting Vista do the installing from there, I tried that just a second ago. Still had no results exchanging space, even though it was to an unpartitioned space. atm I'm looking around for another hdd, because I'm PRETTY SURE I have one laying around somewhere, though I think it's a simple 4200rpm vs my current 7200rpm. But that'd still work just fine, right? Having two different speed hdds that is..? Thanks for the response!

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

The screens on the bootable version of DD look almost exactly the same as on the Windows version, so you probably will have no trouble using it.

Again, depending on your hardware, sometimes the partitioning operations will not succeed when they are run from within Windows. The usual fix is to stop running Windows and boot into a standalone application and do the repartitioning from there.

P.S. I'd probably avoid the 4200 rpm disk. Vista is really disk-intensive and you'll find it's twice as slow as on a 7200 rpm drive.

5. TAshifter88

ok, thanks again for your help.. I'm burning the iso as we speak and I'll see how this goes :D

the two hdd wouldn't work together anyways.. I don't have all the right parts.

6. TAshifter88

haha.. wow.. do I FEEL retarded..

I tried it in safe mode because the boot wasn't working (couldn't check a box and my mouse wasn't working, and the space wouldn't check the box). But then I tried it in safe-mode, and it worked like a charm :D THANKS!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.