Disk Director/OS Selector help urgently required

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Angela, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela

Angela Registered Member

Hi,

I have 4 PCs for which we have just purchased upgrades to True Image 8 and Disk Director 9 (from True Image 7, Partition Expert & OS Selector). Three of the Pcs upgraded with no problem. The 4th is our installation test machine and has 4 operating systems installed (Windows 98, Windows NT4, Windows 2000 and Windows XP). I have True Image 7 backups of all 4 partitions.

I upgraded to True Image 8 with no problem. On upgrading to Disk Director (with OS Selector) I was not asked to re-boot as had happened on the previous 3 machines. If I tried to run OS Selector, I was informed that I needed to reboot (which I did). From this point my whole system became unusable. The OS Selector screen cannot start - during Acronis Loader, I receive the message 'Exception 00 occurred with Errorcode 0000 ...' which just rolls over in an infinite loop. If I try to boot a Disk Director recovery disk the partitions look OK. However, any attempt to update/repair OS Selector, activate/deactivate it, or de-install it, is aborted.

My last attempt at this, was only recovered by running FDISK against the whole disk and re-installing the operating system. I then recovered only my XP partition and de-installed True Image 7, Partition Expert and OS Selector. I then tried to install the new products but the outcome was the same. I have tried installing Disk Director before True Image but it makes no difference. I cannot even get the machine back to how it was prior to starting the upgrade as it seems to be the 'boot record' end of things that seem to be corrupt. I have tried deleting all partitions except for a basic XP OS recovery partition and even that will not boot.

This PC is urgently required to install-test a Beta release of our product and is currently unusable. Please could anyone assist us with some urgency. I have emailed Acronis (with attached system report), but have had no response at all.

I have the latest builds installed, read the accompanying documentation, checked the Acronis web site, read the FAQs and browed this Forum and I am left with no ideas as to how to proceed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Angela

Angela Registered Member

Can anyone suggest a course of action to make this PC usable (other than wiping it and starting again) as it has now been out of action for 3 weeks and I still haven't had anything from Acronis. I don't feel inclined to take any action if they email me asking for details of the problem as a production machine out of use for 3 weeks is not urgent enough for them. They don't deserve any help! Me thinks they are keeping a very low profile.

My boss is livid and baying for blood at this point in time!

3. Angela

Angela Registered Member

Is anyone working on this one, please?
    :'(

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Angela,

Please send me a private message with your email address from which you have contacted support@acronis.com and I will investigate the problem.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

5. Angela

Angela Registered Member

Can anyone tell me if Build 524 has got a fix in for this problem?

6. Acronis Support

Hello Angela,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Director Suite (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/).

Could you please remind me the ticket number of your request to our Support Team? I need to know what the problem is in order to inform you if this problem has been fixed or not.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

7. Angela

Angela Registered Member

8. ???

??? Guest

Angela,
    I have seen this problem before. The master boot record is becoming corrupt. If you boot your machine with a Windows 98 or DOS boot disk and use the [fdisk /mbr] your MBR will be replaced and you will be able to start Windows.

T

9. Acronis Support

Dear Angela,

I have contacted Michael Gilkin regarding your question and he will send you an email message soon.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.