Disk Director 9 & Norton System Works 2005

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Jachin, Feb 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jachin

Jachin Registered Member

I am running WinMe and NSW2005 (but not Disk Doctor) and want to set up a dual boot sytem (two windows systems) using OS Selector under DD9 build 549.

1. Does DD9 conflict with Norton Systemworks?
    2. I think I read somwhere that you cannot boot into windows safe mode if you are running OSS. Is this correct?

Your advice would be appreciated, in layman's terms please.

Jachin.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jachin,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that some tools (such as GoBack, Disk Doctor, etc.) included into Norton Systemworks package lock the access to your hard drive for all other applications, so Acronis OS Selector will be not able to operate with the hard drives.

Yes, you are right. Acronis OS Selector does not allow you to boot Windows in Safe mode. You should deactivate Acronis OS Selector first before trying to boot into Windows Safe mode.

I hope that my answers are clear enough. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. Jachin

Jachin Registered Member

Thank you for your reply.

Just for clarification, do the Norton Protected Recycle Bin and Norton Antivirus programmes interfere with Disk Doctor/OS Selector?

If you deactivate OS Selector in order to start a Windows OS in safe mode does this mean all the OS on the same physical hard disk can see each other and possibly interfere with each others settings? For example would changes made in safe mode in one Windows ME installation affect the 2nd installation of the same OS?
    This concerns me as in the past I have found safe mode very useful in sorting out problems.

Sometimes when rebooting after a bad shut down windows automatically starts with a menu screen offering safe mode as the default start up option. If OS Selector was active when the PC shut down, what happens in this situation when it is rebooted?

Your further advice would be appreciated.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jachin,

We recommend you to disable these programmes too, because they can protect some files which are needed to be changed by Acronis OS Selector.

Please be aware that you will be able to choose what operating system to boot after deactivation of Acronis OS Selector. This will hide the second copy of the operating system for the selected one. So the operating system which you choose will be not able to see the second and interfere with it.

If this situation occurs then you will not see the selection screen (where you can choose to boot into safe mode, etc.) in case Acronis OS Selector is activated. The checkdisk process will be started automatically if you choose in Acronis OS Selector to boot the operating system which was shut down incorrectly.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.