Disk Director 10 and Vista

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by NetAmigo, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NetAmigo

NetAmigo Registered Member

Acronis claims that Disk Director 10 works with Vista. See http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/comparison.html
    However, when I install it in Vista Ultimate SP1, it will not run. The Program Compatibility Assistant pops up in Vista, saying DD is not compatible with this version of Windows. Does anyone know what the issue is here? I installed the latest version of DD off the Acronis site. Thanks.

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

NetAmigo:

I'm currently running DD10 build 2160 on Vista Ultimate SP1 without issues.

By latest version, do you mean build 2160? When you installed DD10, did you right-click on the installer icon and choose "Run as administrator"?

3. NetAmigo

Thanks for your reply Mark. I reinstalled DD10 and made sure to run as administrator. I, also, upgraded it to build 2160. Unfortunately, I had the same problem with Vista telling me the program is incompatible with this version of Windows. This is a new install of Vista. I have only installed Office 2007, Acronis True Image and DD10.

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

NetAmigo:

That's quite unusual. I just finished this installation of Vista last week, and had no problems getting DD 10 to install.

One additional thing that you can check - if you got DD 10 to install, even partially - uninstall the old build first, reboot your PC, and then try installing the latest build.

TI and DD were the second and third programs installed as I was building up Vista. I installed Perfect Disk 2008 first, DD 10 (build 2160) second and then TI 10 (build 4942) third, although I doubt the order of installation has anything to do with this. When I installed TI and DD, I had the installer files on the desktop. Then I right-clicked each and chose "Run as administrator" as described previously, directing the installer to install for "All Users".

Several of us on here have DD 10 installed on Vista. I don't recall seeing anyone report that Vista complained about the program being incompatible, so I'm drawing a blank about the underlying cause of your difficulty getting it to install.

5. NetAmigo

I have done more research. I discovered DD10 installed setting me up with my user account which has administrator privileges. It then removed all my privileges and set me up with "special privileges". I found this out by right clicking on it's icon under properties and then security. I cannot tell what these special privileges are. It does not allow me to add back the other privileges. This appears to be the default user as I cannot remove it. I would like to remove this user but it will not allow me to do so. I have no ideal what is doing this and how to control it. It installs True Image fine with just my regular user account and without the modified special privilege account.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Are you referring to the security tab on the DD10 executable file, or on its shortcut? This is what the executable (DiskDirector.exe) looks like on my machine (for System and for Administrators):

Security.PNG

The permissions for Users are only Read, and Read & execute. It does sound like the installer is not doing the right thing, based on your description.

7. NetAmigo

Mark - I finally got it to work. I uninstalled it again. However, this time I went into Programs and deleted it manually after the uninstall. I think all it does when it uninstalls is just remove the registry links. It leaves all its files. I, also, manually deleted its file in the menu. Then, I reinstalled it after a reboot and it worked. Thanks for the help.

8. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

NetAmigo:

Very good! The uninstaller is supposed to remove its files, but I guess if the install was messed up to begin with then the uninstaller probably was too. That was a good idea to clean up manually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.