Disk Cloning

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MeansIt, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeansIt

MeansIt Registered Member

Ref: True Image v. 8.0

I am trying to clone an existing hard drive containing an operating system and a few selected programs. The cloned drives will be used as the primary and perhaps only drive in other systems which probably contain different hardware than the system used to create the clone. The purpose of doing this is to replace the contents of drives that have become so infected with viruses, trojans and other malware that they have become unusable and the normal anti virus and anti spy ware programs are ineffective at cleaning them up.

The software provides a main page option for cloning drives. It either does not work or I don't understand the rules. Tried the help file but it does not answer my questions either.

Is the cloning feature suitable for the above scenario? If not, why not?

Does this feature format and make bootable the new drive?

Does it run Sysprep, if available, on the master drive?

There is a six step procedure in the Help file under Troubleshooting. It requires the creation of image files and may be a remnant from an earlier version. Is this the only way to do it?

2. MerlinAZ

MerlinAZ Registered Member

The problem I think you will run into is the fact that the systems you will use the clone in may have different hardware/chipset/motherboard than the original system the clone is made from.
    Windows XP doesn't like change. It may require you to boot using an XP disk and do a repair install, and then you may have an issue with Windows activation again.

Just some thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.