Disk cloning to pc with new hardware

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by scaa, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scaa

scaa Registered Member

The FAQ in help files mentions that the command "-mini" to be used to transfer image to a pc with different hardware. I have read the microsoft help files and found that this command has no effect on xp home. Since I have xp home what should I do to transfer my current disk to a new disk on a computer with absolutely different hardware?

Attached Files:

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. scaa

scaa Registered Member

I have gone thru the article mentioned. My problem is that the command "-mini" is mentioned to transfer syaytem to a new hardware. Windows help file says (jpg image was enclosed) this command has no effect on xp home. As I have xp home is it safe to transfer the system without giving the command or is there any different way. I think my question , though very clear, was not responded properly

4. Kbarb

Kbarb Registered Member

5. Kbarb

Kbarb Registered Member

The full text of the -mini switch option is

" -mini - Configures Microsoft Windows XP Professional to use Mini-Setup instead of Windows Welcome. This parameter does not affect Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, where the first-run experience is always Windows Welcome.

Note that if you plan to use the Sysprep.inf file to automate Mini-Setup, you must either run the Sysprep tool by using the -mini switch, or click to select the MiniSetup check box in the GUI interface. By default, if you do not choose to run Mini-Setup, Windows XP Professional runs the Windows Welcome. "

from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302577&Product=winxp

I don't quite get that either.
    I'm not sure but I think it means that sysprep will work but the setup screens will be different. "Windows Welcome" or "Mini-Setup", but it's not really clear.

What's a little worrysome is that Paul Thurrott says:
    "Sysprep support - Windows XP Pro will support the System Preparation (Sysprep) utility, while Home Edition will not."
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

But Microsoft's page says nothing about XP Home not supporting Sysprep - and you'd think it would if that was the case.
    In fact, it says "Applies To" XP Home at the bottom of the page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.