Disk Clone Stops at Reboot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by randys42, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randys42

randys42 Guest

I'm trying to create an image of my internal HD to an external USB hard drive. I'm using Disk Clone. The wizard shows the operations:

Operation 1 of 3
    Clearing Disk
    Hard Disk: 2

Operation 2 of 3: (Reboot required)
    Copying Partition
    Hard Disk: 1->2
    .......etc.

I skipped the rest because when the machine reboots, nothing happens. Windows comes up and it's like nothing is running. If I run TrueImage again, it repeats itself by saying the destination drive has partitions on it that must be removed. I say to remove them and get the same screen as above, again requiring a reboot that doesn't continue the process when I do the reboot.

What am I missing? I really need to back this drive up desperataly. I'm using a trial version and if I can get it to work I would buy the license because I'll need to restore it about one month from now, after the trial period expires.

Thanks.

Randy

2. storage_man

storage_man Registered Member

You didn't say what version of TI your using. This is important. Also You need to indicate whether your using the clone operation under windows or from the bootable recovery CD.

The best way to perform the clone operation is to create a bootable Rescue CD, boot from it, perform the cloneing operation, At completion of the cloning operation, REMOVE the TARGET HARD DRIVE from the system ie: in your case, unplug the external USB drive, and then remove the Bootable CD drive and boot your windows system. You now have a Bootable OS on the cloned drive.

Now you said something about restoring the CLONED drive in 30 days or so. If your desire is to restore the system at some future point in time, I would recommend you initially create a IMAGE backup of the system instead of cloning. Cloning provides a point in time backup that when installed in a system is capable of being booted. IMAGING, is a point in time backup of the system, that can be restored to the original disk at some time in the future.

I hope this info helps. Storage_man

3. randys42

randys42 Guest

Re: Disk Clone Stops at Reboot (Trial Crippled?)

It is Version 9, the version that is offered for a 15 day trial. When you say create a bootable Rescue CD are you referring to the Rescue Media Builder?

I just tried that. I got a dialog window that said the TI Image CD was created and I could boot from it. But when I tried to use the CD, the TI application came up, I made my selections: picking the C: drive to backup and a name for a new image on the external hard drive. Then I get this dialog box in the Create Backup Wizard:

Acronis True Image is now ready to proceed with physical data archiving. Here is a complete list of operations to be performed:

(In a scrollable window)
    Create Full Backup Archive
    To file: "D:\newImage.tib"
    Compression: Normal

Operation 1 of 2
    Operation 1 of 2 (NOTE: Not a typo. It repeats the line)
    Saving Partition structure
    Hard Disk: 1

Operation 2 of 2
    Creating partition image
    Hard Disk 1
    Drive Letter C:
    File System: NTFS
    Volume Label:
    Size: 55.88 GB

Operation 2 of 2 (NOTE: It is displayed two times)
    Check Archive
    From File: D:\newImage.tib"

(End Scrollable Window)

Then it says:

This is the trial version of Acronis True Image. It is not possible to commit the operations you have selected. To purchase the full version of this product, please find your local reseller at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/sales/

For more information please visit http://acronis.com.

The Proceed button is grayed out so it's pretty clear that this trial version is crippled. I can't trust this software to work and I need to send the machine away to get the screen replaced. According to what the instructions said, what I did should create an image of the entire disk.

What is happening here? I'm at a loss.

Thanks.
    Randy

4. storage_man

I appoligize. I missed the fact that you are using the TRIAL version. My recomendation to you is to go into windows, run Acronis, select IMAGE CREATION and follow the wizard to completion. If the the Trial version allows a image to be created ( and I say IF because it used to - but you could not restore) then you should be good to go. Remember that if you need to restore from this image backup, you will need to purchase the product.

Storage_man

5. randys42

randys42 Guest

Going through Windows doesn't work although I'm getting an error, not the type of message that I got before where it wouldn't even let me create an image. I'm getting a Remote Procedure Call Error.

The actual text is:

E006640068: Failed to create the scheduled task

Failed to create the scheduled task. Error #1722-"The RPC server is unavailable."

I checked Services and it shows the RPC service is started.

I can't buy this if I can't even create an image and I have no way of knowing if the purchased version would give me a better result.

Randy

6. storage_man

I would do two things - 1 Uninstall TI9 and Re-install the trial version. If you get the same RPC call problem, then get onto the Acronis web site and open a incident with their support.

Storage_man

7. randys42

randys42 Guest

Re: Trial V8 works. Trial V9 doesnt.

I did an uninstall and reinstall. Same result. But while I was looking at Acronis's full product line I saw that the Corporate Workstation version of TI was version 8.

I downloaded it, installed it (after removing 9 again) and ran it. It created the image file on my USB hard drive. I did get a few disk read errors on my drive which I ignored and now I'm not sure if I have a good image although I can Explore it but it doesn't show all of the folders or files in the root directory. Would this indicate a bad image or would a bad image be unreadable?

I'd really like to be able to buy TI 8 for Home use because the Corporate version requires a 10 license minimum but that's version 8 and Home is 9.

Thanks.

Randy

8. randys42

randys42 Guest

I forgot to mention that when I ran check Image it ran successfully even though I don't see everything that was in the root directory.

Randy

9. storage_man

Randy

There could be some other problems here - go to START_>RUN->CMD (To get the command window). Then type in CHKDSK d: /F. Where d: is your primary drive. Then run another image backup. I would try this with both the corp version along with TI9. If your HD is suspect, this could be a problem. If chkdsk cleans your disk up, you may be good to go. I don't think the backup that you currently have is any good.

I have always performed a chkdsk b4 any backups. Maybe this is why I don't see this problem.

Storage_man

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.