disk clone stalls

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mathieulongtin, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mathieulongtin

mathieulongtin Registered Member

Hi,

I'm trying to clone from an old 80GB HD on EIDE to a new 160GB HD on SATA.

I installed the new drive, installed True Image (downloaded around the 20th of July, whichever version that is), ran True Image, and selected disk clone, everything seemed fine, it detected the new drive as unpartitioned, and the old drive correctly.

Now, when it reboots and starts copying drive C (one partition of two) to the new drive, it seems to stall after 10% of that step (or 2% overall progress). I have let it run for four hours like that and it didn't budge, but the hard drives seem to be working (I hear them and the light is on solid).

That does that mean?

-Mathieu

ps: This is windows XP SP2.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mathieulongtin,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please install the below update with disabled logging and see whether the problem persists.

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/SnapAPI_s_e.exe

If the problem does persist, please enable logging by running the update once more, reproduce the program failure and send the c:\snapapi.log file to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

Please note that your should first prepare your system before you migrate it to different hardware. Please visit Acronis True Image FAQ Section and read how to prepare your system.

Thank you,
    --
    Oleg Shegay

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  3. mathieulongtin

Thanks. I tried all you said and just mailed the log file to support@acronis.com.

I'm doing this to upgrade my drive within the same computer, so I didn't run thos e steps from FAQ.

4. mathieulongtin

It turns out the disk is has bad sectors. I'm returning it, but out of curiosity, how does True Image react when restoring on a disk that has some bad sectors?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mathieulongtin,

The behaviour of Acronis True Image when it clones to the drive with bad sectors is unpredictable. There may be an error message, or just hang up, etc. It is very uncommon situation when the new drive contains bad sectors, however.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.