Disk Cleanup doesn´t start

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by sbsd, Jul 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbsd

sbsd Registered Member

It doesn´t work for me! I start it and it say "Comprimising old files" or what it is and then - nothing happens! Even after 2-3 hours it say the same thing and hasn´t loaded more. It just stay the same and I have to press cancel. What should I do?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. sbsd

sbsd Registered Member

Ok, I have read it and just to be sure. Do I go here:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersio\Explorer\VolumeCaches

In VolumeCaches I see a folder called "Compress Old Files" I should delete this whole entire folder or something in this folder?
    And if I delete the "Compress Old Files" will it not affect anything else on my computer?

I also wanna do a System Restore Point so I went to that program that does this and I saw many System Restore Points in the calender. Almost one a day. I just wonder if those takes any space on my computer and if I should delete them if that is possible?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Did you try this one? Try it first.

Go to internet options
    Delete all temperory internet files
    Than try it again it should work
    Also try disk cleanup in safe mode

When you get cleanup working, you can delete all but most recent restore point. This will free some disk space.

5. sbsd

sbsd Registered Member

How and where do I delete old System Restore Points?
    It seems as it saves the Restored Points of the last two months? I can only go back to June. Is this the case for you as well? Did those Restored Points before June got deleted automatically.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

In disk cleanup under more options.

Attached Files:

7. sbsd

sbsd Registered Member

Doh! :D

8. sbsd

sbsd Registered Member

Strange. I have Windows XP with several login accounts. When my dad use his Disk Cleanup, it is no problem. It starts after 5-10 seconds. Anyway I deleted this thing:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress Old Files

And now Disk Cleanup works in my login account as well. I just wonder, the thing I deleted, does it only affect Compress Old Files on Disk Cleanup or will it affect anything else on my computer?

I deleted all but most recent System Restore Points and now I have like 2GB more space in my computer! Does it really take so much space?

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You can adjust how much disk space system restore uses in control panel, system, system restore.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.