Disk backup 9 hangs on restore

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by dale77, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale77

dale77 Registered Member

Hi there,

I'm just trying to restore a paragon 9 free edition backup of my 500G disk to a replacement 1Tb disk.

Twice now, the Normal restore process has just locked up. First time the restore had been running for 1hr20minutes, second time the process only managed about 5 minutes. With the hang the PC drive light is not on, but the USB drive light is active.

I am restoring from an external USB drive, using the boot CD.

Any tips for me? The only things I can think of that ma be causing an issue are:

- wireless keyboard + mouse
    - network

Thanks

Dale

2. dale77

dale77 Registered Member

Well, I've tried removing network cable. I have also plugged in a usb keyboard to replace the wireless.

Unfortunately Safe mode does not see the USB disk, so I can't try that.

I have now tried 4 times, and the process has hung twice around the 1hr20 mark and twice much earlier.

Try number 5 in progress.

3. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hi Dale77,

It could be that the USB connection is timing out or disrupted. Since you have a 1TB replacement hard drive, lets segment the hard drive, temporarily move the archive over, and restore it locally.

Right-click the 1TB hard drive, and first create a 500GB partition. Then recreate a 2nd 500GB partition. You can change these sizes as long as the second one is large enough to hold the archive. Using the File Transfer Wizard, copy the archive on the USB to the 2nd partition. Once that's done, restore from the 2nd partition to the first. When you're back in Windows, you can delete the second partition by going to Disk Management, Right-Click My computer > Manage. And then use Paragon free partitioning tool to expand the first partition to its full size.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/

4. dale77

dale77 Registered Member

An excellent suggestion thankyou.

Try #5 worked. For #5 the only change was to move the USB external to a different power outlet from the rest of the system... Not sure whether this was effective, or just lucky #5.

Can I use Paragon 10.1 on my 9.0 backup? My next attempt would have been to use the more recent software.

5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, the 10 series will recognise the 9 series arc backups.

6. dale77

dale77 Registered Member

I have since discovered that my restore from my old 500Gb partition, to one of the new WD advanced format disks, caused a misalignment problem on the new disk. The label on the static bag for the new disk said "Win XP apply jumper, all other OS, disk ready to use", but this isn't true for those Vista users who want to restore a partition.

Could this have had something to do with the restore difficulty I had?

Also, does Paragon 10 do the right thing when restoring a partition to the new advanced format drives?

I had to run WD Align on the restored drive, and it sure does improve matters. The Vista OS on the restored drive seemed to be having all manner of strange disk related pauses.

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I think you will find it was Paragon who developed the WD Align app. for Western Digital.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.