Disconcerting RegDefend Behavior

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by NormanS, Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NormanS

NormanS Registered Member

Shouldn't RegDefend warn when it blocks a program even though the user has no administrative privileges?

after installing RegDefend, start up as a user without administrative privileges resulted in a warning and a suggestion from a VoIP program, SkypeMate. The warning was that the VoIP phone, a USB device, was disconnected; the suggestion was to reinstall the phone. But RegDefender, the actual culprit for disallowing the connection, issued no warning, nor did it enter anything into the log.

I discovered what was happening by logging on with administrative privileges. This time, during start-up, RegDefender popped up asking whether SkypeMate should be allowed. Once permission was granted, SkypeMate's phone became "reconnected".

2. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

At the moment, RegDefend isn't really designed for "multiple logins" or working too well with a restricted user account. This support will be added in a future version.

RegDefend still protects the system if you are running it in an admin account prior, then log into a restricted account, but you will receive no alerts, instead RegDefend automatically blocks any item which would have asked the user before.

3. NormanS

NormanS Registered Member

First of all, thanks for a great program. Thanks too for your quick response.

I will look forward to your solution for users without administrative privileges. Will this solution be a part of your next release?

4. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

It won't be a part of the initial release (as there are already 100's of changes), but will come in an update soon after.

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I use a Power User account for normal access and do receive RegDefend alerts (using RunAs to give it Admin access) - however it fails to identify the application in question (everything is done by "system" instead). Is this due to RegDefend's current account limitations or something else? (I see the same problem with AppDefend also, making it almost useless on my setup).

System setup: Win2K SP4, RD 2.050, AD 1.000 with SSM 2.0.0.533, PG 3.200 beta 2, Outpost 3.0.557 (437). System certified KAV-beta free by Total Uninstall... ;) RegDefend entries in log below resulted from blocking key creation by RegEdit.

Attached Files:

6. xwray

xwray Guest

Suppose I log in as a plain jane user when I first turn the machine on without ever logging in as the admin...does RegDefend do it's thing in this situation?

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.