disclosing your WAN IP address

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by anyBody, May 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anyBody

anyBody Registered Member

When reading the TOR docs it says that plugins like java are disabled because they aren't safe in the way that a local program can disclose your WAN IP that's been provided by your ISP.

Now I'm looking for the evidence...

I've been googling a while without succes for a piece of code that discloses your WAN IP. The only codes I found so far communicate through webservers. They fail since they go over T:pR

It has to work for people behind a router so ipconfig is out.

Still looking for evidence *puppy*

:shifty:

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

A Java applet has the ability to connect to the outside world, and it does so using a different program/executable than your browser. In this case, even if your browser is going through TOR, there is no guarantee that Java will also use TOR (and most likely it won't).

3. anyBody

Right, you got me.

Luckily though java bytecode is executed by the java engine.
    So all I'd need to do is routing the java engine through TOR I think.

4. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Yes, but make sure that it will honour that configuration. The best idea is to use a VM for connecting through TOR, because you can be 100% sure that nothing can bypass TOR.

5. anyBody

In VMware I've set The Network connection to bridged. In Network Properties I see two Virtual Network Adapters VMnet1 and VMnet8. I succesfully routed fireFox through TOR using proxyFirewall but wouldn't know how to do that with VMWare. Maybe if someone can explain or point me to an article where this is explained.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.