Disappointed With Process Guard's Many Bugs

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by worldcitizen, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Rebooted and tried to install Winrar and tabs were back again. Going to my wife's account seemed to cause PG to malfunction until a reboot.

Hope Gavin's tuning in too.

Dave

2. worldcitizen

Done this 3 times and with exactly the same results.

Something happens to PG once it enters my wife's account.

Maybe it doesn't like her!!

Strange eho_O

Dave

3. worldcitizen

Another thing. I'm not 'switching users' but logging off properly on each account and taking time before I logon again on the other account.

Dave

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Worldcitizen, Switching user acoounts can be problematical.
    Her is Jason's response from another thread, though I do not think that it answers your question:

You can't run multiple versions of procguard.exe on the same system, and never will be. Simply shutdown procguard.exe in the other user account if you want to use it in another.

BTW there are certain "issues" with fast user switching that most likely will never be resolved. Any process run in any session other than 0 (the first account logged in) will be allowed to run by the execution protection unless it was specifally blocked always or "block all new and changed files from running" option is enabled.

Basically, you will not get a confirmation in any other account than the first one you logged into

5. worldcitizen

Doesn't Jason's comments refer to fast user switching' as opposed to logging off properly on 1 account and then logging on another?

Well now we seem to know what's wrong. I'll have to reboot then start up in my wife's account FIRST and try and install something new and see if the tabs work or not.

Be back soon to let you know.

Dave

6. worldcitizen

Spot on Pilli! I rebooted and logged onto my wife's account FIRST and tried to install something new and the tabs worked. Logged off and logged onto my account and black tabs. So the situation is reversed now.

I suppose this means that I have to reboot if my wife has been using the PC so I can install stuff using my account.

At least now we're getting somewhere but logging off shouldn't cause the problem because I'm techincally offline. So PG seems to be still logged into the FIRST account regardless of a log off or not and only a reboot will reset it. Nuisance isn't it!!!

Dave

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

PG Is a very low level driver and starts before user accounts etc. So as far as I know a reboot or restart would be the only way around the problem. As Jason said user switching is a basic system problem that MS will not or, dare I say it, cannot fix.
    Maybe we will have to wait for LongShot - Woops" sorry LongHorn :)

8. Tony H

Tony H Registered Member

Hi,

Reading this thread, four things occur to me.

1/ Reinstall Direct X from here:-

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...9e-07c1-462a-baef-5eab5c851cf5&displaylang=en

Download the update utility program and then run it while you are on-line. This will download and install the latest directX. It may automatically reboot afterwards.

DirectX problems occur quite a lot and this can often solve them and improve performance.

I notice that the latest service pack is 1a and anyway sp2 should be available soon.

2/ Check your display settings. (right click anywhere on desktop,properties,settings and then advanced) Play with it a bit and see how it affects the display, but with caution of coarse.

I have noticed that DVD players can be temperamental sometimes and cause problems as they use overlays and other mysterious things that affect displays. In my experience, black tabs is a problem that occurs from time to time and is a display settings problem

3/ Do a defrag. This is a simple thing but it can cause problems, especially after installs and un-installs.

4/ If you have a system checker, such as Norton Utilities/WinDoctor, and run that, it can be very helpful.

T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.